Is this possible? (preamp/mixer content)

Ultron

Ok, I've been scouring Google, forums and retailers looking for a product that can do this. I have one preamp (Tampa), a Mackie 1202vlz (I do not use the preamps on it, and you cannot bypass them on a Mackie), and a Delta 44.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I only run one mic at a time, either vocals thru a condensor (M179) or mic'd guitar cabs via sm57s. I'd like to have all of my mics/cables/xlr going into one interface..like a xlr patchbay, and have only ONE output going into the Tampa preamp/compressor, which would run direct into the Delta. The patchbay/switch needs to have phantom power on some channels. All of the line mixers I've looked at (Rane, Hosa, Alesis) have preamps built it....I don't need that. Has anyone been able to feed multiple xlr inputs into one single preamp?

:confused:

Don't think you can do it. All the mic's have different sensitivities so each need a preamp to "normalize" the levels. I think you want to have everything connected, but only use one mic at a time, but there is no way to bypass a mic. If they all are plugged into a patchbay that goes to one XLR into your interface, they are all on at the same time. I'm sure your only solution is a mixer.

Don't think you can do it. All the mic's have different sensitivities so each need a preamp to "normalize" the levels. I think you want to have everything connected, but only use one mic at a time, but there is no way to bypass a mic. If they all are plugged into a patchbay that goes to one XLR into your interface, they are all on at the same time. I'm sure your only solution is a mixer.

Would that be a passive mixer, with no preamps? I'm not sure if this is worth in the effort.....I might as well just manually plug in each mic cable that is going to be used. I just thought studios that have one real high end single channel preamp, how can they share that with multiple inputs (one at a time) without manually plugging and unplugging?

The only thing that comes to mind when I read this is this http://sewelldirect.com/xlr-splitter-male-to-2-female.asp. Are you trying to put all of your mics into one preamp but only using ONE mic at a time? You just want it so you don't have to keep plugging and unplugging? Get some Xlr splitters. Also, I dunno if that would work as actually using more than one mic for one preamp channel. If it did, it probably wouldn't be a good idea.

You could modify a patch bay to do that. (But, then the bay would be useless for anything else.) You would simply need to connect all of the appropriate pins together. (i.e., solder all of the no. 1 pins together, then all of the no. 2 pins, etc...) But be very careful not to use more than one mic at a time. This would overload the preamp and also would probably cause comb filtering between mics.

As an alternative you could go with a sub-mixer. Something like this.
http://www.audiopile.net/products/Electronics/ML620E/ML-620E_cutsheet.shtml
But that is probable a little overkill just to blend a few cables together.

Good luck.

Back