Is this an Oktava design?

Sure looks like it. I can't find anything about its designer/manufacturer except made in Russia on the box (but I didn't look very hard.) Looks like that capsule would screw right on to the MK-012 body.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-EHC2-Condenser-Studio-Microphone?sku=271041
Mic body, -10 dB pad and mic clip look eerily similar to the MK-012, and seeing that it's made in Russia, I'll bet it's made at the same factory. Pure speculation and rumor mongoring though.

Yes, the Electro-Harmonix EH-C2 your link points to is a rebranded Oktava MK-102. This mic uses the same large (27.5 mm diameter, 5 micron diaphragm) capsule as the MK-105 driving the transformerless circuit found in the '012 body.

It offers an "AKG-like" sound (as opposed the more "Neumann-esque voicing of the MK-219 & MK-319) with presence and air peaks at 5kHz and 12kHz with an anti-sibilance dip in the range in between. Very flat midrange.

This mic has a fairly unique and useful feature for an LDC - its off axis-response attenuates smoothly across the frequency range, so off-axis coloration is kept to a minimum.

The orientation of the capsule and the preamp body (body is hidden behind the capsule for on-axis sound) provides a very small reflective surfaces between the mic and sound source.

In short, its a large diaphragm mic that provides many of the attributes of a small diaphragm (extended top end, quick transient response, smooth off-axis response) plus the vocal-enhancing "size" and presence of a large diaphragm mic.

This model can also be tweaked with a few modifications.

Thanks, Michael.
I assume the 33mm diaphragm size listed is in error.

A marketing play... the 33mm measurement is the outside diameter of the capsule brasswork. The actual diaphragm measures 27.5mm.

I had no idea Oktava had so many new models out:
http://www.oktava-shop.com/

This would be a nice set to have:
http://www.oktava-shop.com/view_prod.php?id=52

Oh yeah, those small diameter & large diameter combo sets are very cool. That '-012-20 MSP8 (two MK-102 capsules and two each '012 small diaphragm omni, cardioid and hypercardioid) is a great deal. I don't show all these variations on my site but can get them all.

Are you doing the mods they have listed on the site?
http://www.oktava-shop.com/view_category.php?category=12

Yeah, I have a deal with Oktava-Online to mod new mics for sale in Europe. I also was commissioned to write the text describing all the "100 series" models. I tried to use a consistent format and describe off-axis sound as well as on-axis.

(as opposed the more "Neumann-esque voicing of the MK-219 & MK-319)

Whatever it means :rolleyes:

Both MK-219 and MK-319 voicing is far enough from ANY existing Neumann microphone on the market, I know of. They are MUCH darker, with apparent lack of high end and quite significant low end boost. With capsule modification and reskinning with aluminum foil it is possible to bring back the high end, and the voicing somewhat closer to M7/K47 type of sound, but still there would be enough differences for any such classification.

If anything, their voicing is much closer to rather ribbon microphones.

Both MK-219 and MK-319 voicing is far enough from ANY existing Neumann microphone on the market, I know of. They are MUCH darker, with apparent lack of high end and quite significant low end boost.

I have to agree Mark. The sound of the Oktava LDCs is mainly in the capsule (I personally believe this is true of all mics) and as you say, it's dark compared to most other condensers. That said, I don't think the HF is lacking - I find a lot of other condensers too bright. I'm interested in you idea of re-skinning.

Roddy

Hi. I was just trying to remove the resonator disks from my mt-319 and I managed to damage the diaphragm (small deflection). Tested the mic and unfortunately that causes some cranckling sounds so the mic is unusable now. Is there a way to re-skin the diaphragm by yourself? Or is there any place in Europe where one could fix this?

Anyone?

Back