Is this a rock monster hit?

A monster hit? That I don't know but the there is a noise on it that I find rather fatiguing. It calms down towards the end of the track. It's mainly on the verses. Can't work out if it is a guitar or something else but it has big sustain and doesn't sound great. It also covers parts of the vocals. The vocals could probably come up a notch.

Other than that I think it sounds good. :thumbs up:

Maybe in the late 80's.

What do you mean by 'monster hit'? If tons of reverb means monster, then yeah you got it. 'Washed out and uninspired' is what I would call the tune. This is just my opinion. I am not trying to judge you personally, just my taste.

I don't have issue so much with the musicianship. The performances are good. The vocals tho are often not hitting the notes and seem to not be emotionally involved. And yes, I listened to many of the tracks. Same opinion of all of them.

Instrumentals are good. The vocals need more balls though. I like the 80s pop vibe though. That needs to come back.

Luke, why are you posting a mix for comments when you've already put it up for purchase?
The bass drum seems to have disappeared.
Something happens when you sing Just - is it essing or something else.
The rhythm needs for punch and energy.
You seem to be using reverb as a mastering tool - it's part of the package sometimes but wow, it's as heavy as the this Sunday's rain in Wollongong.
I think this would have worked better if it was arranged like OMD's Enola Gay.
Man, that's a LOT of hiss at the end & through the song.

Hi guys, Many thanks for your comments. I spent all day redoing this song as I wasn't happy with the length,the mix and music. I cut it down in length, took off the reverb, can't hear any noise now, can you? Yes it has an 80's sound to it I guess but that's about right for my age! LOL Cheers, Lu :)

I think the vocals are what I call pitchy. A lot of folks hate that term but I recently read a description that I think sums it up. Its not necessarily hitting the wrong notes. Its just hitting the notes wrong. It sounds at times like you are starting a note and then kind of trying to find the pitch as opposed to a very confident delivery.
The same great engineer that gave this description also offered a technique (at least from recording engineers standpoint) to track the vox with a lower headphone instrument mix.. Just barely out of the singers comfort zone to kind of make the singer focus more on a unsupported delivery (no training wheels so to speak).
Also to eq lows out of the headphone mix and enhance some upper mids so the singer hears more of the vocal harmonics and less bass that adds to the resonance the singer hears in his head (skull resonance).

Not a fan of the 80s sound myself but I agree with what the others say here- Instrumentals are good... vocals are not connecting... Try bringing the vocal up front think Elvis Costello.

Back