Is this a mistake?

I've never played this brand before, but I'd assume its like most things that are extremely cheap for what they are - mediocre sounding at best, and not of the best, or even marginal, build quality.

There are, of course, exceptions to the rule, but I've found it to usually be the case.

people are CONSTANTLY raving about the sound of PDP drums. the couple kits i've played on have been rather nice--stunning given the price.

if you check out a "full kit" of PDP FS (birch) series drums at MF, you'll see that the full kit is in the $850 range. reference http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pacific-Drums-by-DW-FS-5Piece-Drum-Kit?sku=444821.

anyway........i'm thinking about jumping on one of these kick drums. for $100 i figure i can't lose.

cheers,
wade

mrface2112 said:
anyway........i'm thinking about jumping on one of these kick drums. for $100 i figure i can't lose.
If you jump on it and it doesn't break, then it's worth it! :D

I've got a snare from them. The quality seems fine for the money. But that is aweful cheap for a bass drum, who know's how it will sound.

Ive got a birch Pacific fusion kit and I love the sound. It's not the greatest kit I've ever played (that honor goes to a $4000 DW kit), but IMHO it's the best you will find in the price range. It kicks my old kits ass! (Pearl export series).

i've got 2 kits--an early 90's Pearl Export and a mid/late-60's ludwig. I like the pearl toms plenty, but the kick just doesn't really cut it. more "poof" than "boom" if that makes any sense. ;)

i've played a few PDP kits and have been impressed with what they are. sure they're not a "real" DW kit, but they seem to hold their own and are definitely a bit above their competitors.

I just find it hard to believe that they're selling single 22in kick drums for under one bill. one of those and my pearl toms would rock.

cheers,
wade

i have the same kit as gbondo9 and the kick sounds pretty sweet. i'm using an Evans EMAD2 head on it, it's definitely not "poof". for $90, i don't think you can go wrong. the finish is pretty nice on them too.

yes, the mistake is....a pdp
i am just one opinion, but i think there cheap for a reason...i don't like the sound

that is a good deal...even if you strip the thing down just for the parts
lol

That series of PDP is made in China. The higher end ones are made in Mexico. For that price you can't go wrong even if it is Chinese. They do sound good for the money.

hoops said:
That series of PDP is made in China.
THAT explains it! i kinda figured that was the case, but I couldn't find anything on the PDP website that indicated where they were made.

really, though, for $110 shipped......that might be hard to beat. if anything it'll give me another color/sound at my disposal--i don't currently have a birch (or maple for that matter) kick drum. at any rate, probably better than another $100 mic. :p

cheers,
wade

Back