Is there truth in this

BLP

I was reading and they say a good chain to help mastering a whole project in a DAW setting is EQ > COMPRESSOR > LIMITER

I can use this chain on each track to get the percieved loudness meter around my favorite tracks.

I've been working with this and it seems to be helping.

I use the eq to have a low cut off and boost mids or highs
(if needed but very small changes from .1-2db)

then a compresser
(manualy adjusting the input to where my VU meter is average around 3db
then adjusting attack, release, output as needed)

then the limiter as needed by ear with output set at -.01dB

This is just a small step into mastering but am I getting a good idea of it?

No. My understanding of mastering is not loud. These are the steps I was using to have all the songs even in perceived loudness throughout whole cd and keeping everything under 0dB at same time. I was asking if this is a good way to go at it?

These are the steps I was using to have all the songs even in perceived loudness throughout whole cd and keeping everything under 0dB at same time. I was asking if this is a good way to go at it?
That's not a bad start for getting the songs to have continuity in eq balance and level.

You mention setting the ceiling at -.01. You probably meant -.1 dBFS and I would recommend around -.3 dBFS.. It's not like those tenths of a dB or going to make a huge difference, but this will help in preventing overs in some situations like mp3 conversion....and don't forget to dither as the step usually following limiting.

Who, guys,

He said:

"I can use this chain on each track to get the perceived loudness meter around my favorite tracks."

I don't think it's a good idea to crank each track up as loud as possible before you mix.

But maybe that's just me.

Who, guys,

He said:

"I can use this chain on each track to get the perceived loudness meter around my favorite tracks."

I don't think it's a good idea to crank each track up as loud as possible before you mix.

I think by "track", he meant "song".

Who, guys,

He said:

I meant song. Sorry bout that.

That's not a bad start for getting the songs to have continuity in eq balance and level.

You mention setting the ceiling at -.01. You probably meant -.1 dBFS and I would recommend around -.3 dBFS.. It's not like those tenths of a dB or going to make a huge difference, but this will help in preventing overs in some situations like mp3 conversion....and don't forget to dither as the step usually following limiting.

I'm having the urge to change the dynamics of every track while mastering a whole project. TO ME it sounds better, but I might be wrong.

Yes RMS is the average level (or at least one way of calculating an "average"). It is actually a methodology for attributing a DC equivalent voltage to a given AC signal.

I'm having the urge to change the dynamics of every track while mastering a whole project. TO ME it sounds better, but I might be wrong.
Anytime that you apply limiting or compression the dynamics will change. Adding eq will not effect the dynamics so much as it effects the frequency balance. I find it more useful to get that in order most of the time before any dynamics processing.

Back