Is there such a thing? where? whynot?

Jouni

I'm talking about a digital recorder.

One that records, say, 8 xlr-inputs simultaniously, with gain control, to a flash-memory.

That's it.

Maybe a hole for headphones to listen what the mics are catching one by one. If batterypowered, I could manage with dynamic mics, no phantom needed.

NO panning, eq, lcd-displays, fancy editing, mix/mastering effects, programmable clicktracks, timestamps or cd-burners!!!!

...That's why I have a DAW, on a PC.

On location, all I need to do, is record the mics.

A gadget like this, might actually fit into a large pocket.

I'm talking about a digital recorder.

One that records, say, 8 xlr-inputs simultaniously, with gain control, to a flash-memory.

That's it.

Maybe a hole for headphones to listen what the mics are catching one by one. If batterypowered, I could manage with dynamic mics, no phantom needed.

NO panning, eq, lcd-displays, fancy editing, mix/mastering effects, programmable clicktracks, timestamps or cd-burners!!!!

...That's why I have a DAW, on a PC.

On location, all I need to do, is record the mics.

A gadget like this, might actually fit into a large pocket.

I guess the idea is that you go to a venue, record the eight tracks without frills, then upload them to the PC for working on in detail, right?

There are plenty of handheld stereo digital recorders . . . but eight XLRs? I haven't seen one yet (that's not to say they don't exist) . . . but that would be one mighty big pocket you would need to fit them into!

"My band includes a kangaroo. She doesn't play anything, but she's the only one with pockets big enough to carry our digital recorder."

:D

nothing as basic as what you've described

But anything with xlr's is going to need preamps, gain per channel and master volume. And for a separate track per channel so you can move them onto the pc,a hard disk and usb or firewire.
There are a handful of 8 track digital recorders, but every one that I know of is built as an all-in-one stand-alone.
My wife and I have a Korg D888. Eight in/out/through that let you plug DI and out to amps, PA or monitor/ master. 64 virtual tracks, 140 GB harddrive. $700.

8 tracks is going to require a bit more throughput than a flash card might offer. Not to mention chew up the space on such a thing in minutes, not hours.

Sound Devices have a number of 8 track (or more) field recorders. But the storage medium is not flash afaik. Nagra VI was released not too long ago (6 channels?). Some of these allow you to combine multiple devices via world clock / timecode / whatever the current tech/term is.

Once you get much past 2 channels you're probably not lookiing at running on batteries anymore. And you can probably forget about flash too.

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/788t.htm

If you don't need to actually record 8 tracks, you might get by with an 8 channel mixer into a 2 channel recorder.

OK, I overdid it on the batteries. flash and size..

I've had my eye on the D888 too, cheapest I can find with 8 inputs. And it still has eq, panning, outputs and shit I'll end up doing on a PC..

With Sound devices gadgets, It'll be cheaper to throw a recording at the local studios....:eek: Reliable and potent looking though..
And I'd like to mix at home, with the PC, thus needing separate tracks, so mixer-to-stereo won't do..

I just thought some savvy company would've done something like that, since afaik tracker to computer is pretty common method, and most of the mixer-properties are useless on a tracker.

Ofcourse there are the I/O-thingies, but I don't wanna drag along a computer too.

Thanks for the replies!

THAT'S close enough!.. :D

batteries, sd-card.. don't use the built-in effects, and don't need it to hook up with my PC, but that's small potatoes, and price isn't bad too...

Thanks!

8 SIMULTANIOUS channels, and possible to sync 2 for 16 channels?..
At that price, yes, very desirable. :D

I've had a H4 for some time, and I've been very happy about it, good enough sound and portable, all I wanted more was 8 channels.

Back