Is there something easy to dampen the sound?

cumberledge1

I have a room, that I use mainly for recording, but it has other uses as well. So I would like something that I can either put up, and doesnt look ridiculous/cost a ridiculous amount of money, or something that can be put up and taken down, to help reduce the ambient noise when I am recording vocals...

Thanks yall

Search through the Studio Build section for '703'. You will find a lot of info on how to make acoustic panels that work well and look nice in your room. Also check out Ethan Winer's website. He has some good articles on acoustic treatment.

www.ethanwiner.com

Go to your local Heating and Air person..Ask them for a sheet of ductboard (about 20 bucks for a sheet 4 feet by 8 feet)

Cut the fiberglass board to any size you want, then cover it with a nice fabric. Then hang it like a picture...Works great and cheap

i was told in a separate post that eggshell crate actually doesn't work well at all. now I'm confused. :confused:

eggshell crate and eggcrate foam probably work well for something, neither is much help in acoustically treating a room for recording.

everyone involved with recording has opinions concerning what works, by necessity most of the approaches used in home recording treatment are bad compromises between what you can do (if renting virtually nothing) and what you are willing to do (if you 'own' much of the expense of effective treatment not only can't be recouped on resale it will actually reduce the houses resale value, except in very specialized markets) and what you can afford

in trying to understand what actually works the library is a much better friend then peer to peer forums, if you want to understand . . . the forums can be a resonable place to refine and clarify information derived from books on theory

and at times be excellent sources for cost effective ways to implement specifics

but just one of the things to keep in mind is that while something little thincker then a sheet of paper (.169 in.) can be used to deflect (or absorb) 20 kHz waves, a 100 Hz wave requires a thickness of 2 ft 9 and a half in. to accomplish similar effect. Of course it is not merely thickness but density that effects how a wave will interact.

there are some things you can do, generally speaking while strategies are consistant each room's requirements are a little different but a lot of the basics have been discussed on this formum (as was suggested reviewing studio building forum would be a reasonable place to start) reason for this post is just a gentle reminder that if a solution to this perenial problems seems to be to easy it probably, at the very least, is effective only in a specific location and does not point to a general strategy

if room treatment were 'that' easy discussions would be relegated purely to fashion debates, i.e. which color of foam worked best

The match-point of eggshell crate is like 140 degrees (after which it catches fire). Don't do it Dude. Even your Lava lamp could kill you.

"Ridiculous cheap"

Get carpet samples from your local carpet store and glues them to the walls. All they do is kill the early reflections and any hi end in your room, but they could look cool doing it.

OK. Ive been reading alot of techniques about quieting a room for recording. Most of which, honestly, I either dont have the understanding to build, or just flat out cant do (I rent a townhouse - I cant be glueing things to the walls).

So here is a new, more specific question. I saw from another source, people were builiding fabric boxes, covered on the inside with acoustic foam. THey obviosly left 1 side open, for them to speak or sing into. I live close enough to an intersection where I can hear the occational tractor trailer buzzing by. Would something like this work to help "protect" the mic from other invading noises while recording?

I realize that probably the more involved techniques probably work better. But I am just getting started on recording, and want to make something worthy of recording, but not necessarily studio quality (though that would be nice).

Maybe you have a sweeter spot in your townhouse for recording vocals? Are you using a condenser mic? Condensers will most likely hear the air moving from a ceiling fan, whereas dynamic mic's aren't going to pick up so much of a room. You might be able to use the sound of a room to your advantage, unless you want it totally flat, and then add effects (reverb, etc.) after recording.

In a home, your best bet is a room with pretty much wall to wall furniture. Bookcases (obviously, filled with books) look nice, and are great for sound absorption. Try a couple of silk plants (trees) in the corners, Make sure blinds or drapes on windows are closed, tuck blankets around any cracks around closed doors, and see how it impacts your recording space. A walk-in closet could be the perfect (short of what a pro studio could offer - I'm focusing on true "home recording" here!) vocal booth, and it wouldn't cost anything to run a mic in there!

It seems to me, especially if you're just starting out, it wouldn't hurt you to capitalize on what you already have! Experiment with it, and define your real needs. Then you will be better able to address what you really need to build/buy.

Back