Is there any reason to NOT upgrade to Audition

miglio

Greetings folks,

I'm a Cool Edit 2000 user and am very happy with that product. However I've been toying with doing the $100 upgrade to Audition.

I've downloaded the trial version, and it seems pretty much the same. But I'm curious if Adobe has "Microsoft'ed" it, meaning that they took a great product and ruined it.

Does anyone who has made the switch have any horror stories or had any problems with the Adobe version that might make it worth reconsidering taking the plunge?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Does anyone who has made the switch have any horror stories or had any problems with the Adobe version that might make it worth reconsidering taking the plunge?
Nope. Mine works great

Adobe Audition is the same program as CEP with a different name. They haven't changed anything.

Tukkis

If you're using CE2000 it will be a step up.

Yep, that was my thinking as well. But I got a little uneasy when I read this comment by Dragon when comparing Audition to Sound Forge...

Syntrillium's Cool Edit used to be that easy to use, but it's been changed into a high-end monstrosity with too many features and not enough interface.

Naturally that's only one persons opinion, but it *did* make me go "hmmmm". So I thought I'd fish for other peoples experiences before I click that "Buy" button.

Thanks for the feedback!

Just got my copy of Audition

I am also a CE2K user for two years, but I figured this was the best way to upgrade without learning a totally new UI.

I haven't installed it yet, but I have gone through the manual (!) and it looks like it will be an easy jump.

One thing: The $99 Audition upgrade will only install if you have CE2K installed on the same computer. So you might want to save a copy of the CE2K distribution, just in case you ever want to put Audition on a new machine. You'll have to install CE2K first, then the Audition upgrade.

AJ and Miglio, I have never used 2000, but CEP2.1/AA rocks my creative world...with ease. Don't be a schmuck, go for it! 99 bucks for multitracking and all the goodies? Such a deal, bro!
Musically yours, Lee Tyler. :)

The interface is exactly the same as CEP 2.1. However, when I upgraded, the new Adobe Audition version crashed everytime I hit mixdown. I'm sure it's some problem with my registry settings, but I got tired of screwing with it, so I'm just using CEP 2.1 until I feel like griping to somebody.

DEFINITELY a step up from CEP 2000, though. Can you even multitrack with 2000?

dobro said:
Chris, did you have any problems uninstalling AA or afterward?
Nope... I mean, once I uninstalled it, and then Reinstalled CEP 2.0 from disk, then the upgrade to 2.1 again, lol - and reset all of my unique presets which I've learned to save as text files, lmao ...IT ALL WORKED FINE AGAIN.

Hm, okay. I remember reading a message over on the Adobe board from some guy who reported that he couldn't uninstall it completely from the registry, which then had an effect on the performance of a reinstalled 2.1. Okay, maybe I'll take the chance. Nah, I'll just keep AA on disk until I need it. :D

Next question (you've brought up a subject near and dear to my heart). I've started to save all my settings in Cool and use them as a record of what I've done with certain tracks in certain mixes. (It's a record I need to keep and have access to, in other words. If I lose that information, it makes it less easy to tweak stuff.) So how do you go about backing up that information? You mention doing it as a text file? Why a text file? And how do you do it?

I think I remember someone talking about simply backing up the cool.ini file. No?

dobro said:

I think I remember someone talking about simply backing up the cool.ini file. No?
Holy crap, that's a great idea that I hadn't even thought of.

The way I've been doing it is stupid, really...especially compared to that. But what I do is everytime I save a preset, I literally type out what it is, what preset I started with, and what parameters I adjusted. Then I have to go back and manually tweak them all again upon reinstall.

I'm gonna' try the *.ini file backup...sheesh, I'm dumb

Not that dumb, actually, cuz where the fuck is the .ini file? Go ahead, see if you can find it. I can't.

mine was saved in the same folder where CEP is installed. About 77KB.

There's another one with the exact same name in the C://Windows directory.

I'm saving both.

:D

Thanks for the tip, man.

plplpllplplplplplplplpllplplpp!

WTF?

You find it just like that, and I can't begin to turn mine up?

Bollocks!

CE2K + Studio Plugin ==> 4 tracks

chrisharris said:

DEFINITELY a step up from CEP 2000, though. Can you even multitrack with 2000? [/B]

Although I mostly put a little recorded music under narration and four tracks is plenty for that, it will be nice to have the bigger toys.

Cool Edit Pro 2.0

I was a huge fan of Cool Edit 95 back in the day. Now I have upgraded to Pro 2.0. I have never been more efficient when it comes to production. I have tried all the other junk out there and find that Cool Edit is the musicians software.

Does anyone use the Digitech GNX3 guitar workstation?

hey everyone just signed up and have been reading the forums, lots of interesting tid bits for me to soke up ;) .. and well i use the GNX1 work station and i love it ..
http://burnstudios.tripod.com check out my lil home recording studio .. i help out the local bands around here doing demos an such , and for my own personal use ..

Back