Is there Any hope?

Oneway

Hi I stumbled on to this form and thought maybe someone on here could help me. And I love singing so meeting a community of singing friends would be really cool too. :)
I have always loved to sing and have always dreamed of doing something with my voice on broadway, problem is i suck and now I am old (22) because my parents never let me take lessons or improve when I was younger? Is there any hope in anything coming of my voice at this age or should I just i give up me dreams now? I know my voice isn't the best and needs work but is there any potential? Or am i just too old and awful to even try?

Any advise would be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM_Vbnw_xYE

Last edited:
Where there's life there's hope.

Your singing is not horrible but you do go off pitch at times. Your voice still can be developed within a year or two (with the correct voice teacher). I suggest if you could afford it, give it a try. If not, practice scales over and over again.

It was also kind of difficult to judge from the video since I thought the instrumental track was a little too loud.

It's not an issue of age or a lack of lessons to blame; singing is something I feel either comes natural or it doesn't at all. Not saying lessons can't help, but that foundation must naturally be there to start. I always believe in hope and in following one's dreams. However, I also believe in being super objective about one's abilities because life is short and we don't want to chase the wrong dream. Each of us is talented and special at something, and the key is to find and focus on that. So to be honest, my opinion, which people may or may not agree with, is this (because I think you really want people to be up front with you because I always want the same thing for myself, even if it hurts!): I personally don't think you should pursue anything professional with singing. I listened to this video and to the Skyscraper video as well, and I think there are big problems with pitch, expression, flow, etc. I wish I could tell you it's great, but at the same time it'd be a shame to waste your time, effort, and money pursuing something that isn't what you're really good at. There's something you have a knack for and you're never too old to discover your gifts and calling. But if people aren't honest with you, it will be so easy to follow the wrong path.
I'd say if you do continue to work on your singing, you sounded better when you sang lower rather than higher, which I know doesn't work with the whole Broadway idea, but at the moment it's not as problematic of a range for you. Try to make your words flow into each other and at the end of a phrase hold the last notes a little longer; don't let the words go too quick.
Good luck to you and I wish you all the best!

I disagree with with RJM completely. Singing is a skill that can be developed. It's quicker if you have natural talent, but not a showstopper (pun- get it?) without.

5 years ago, I couldn't sing for nothing. Nowadays, I'm not great, but I'm getting decent tracks. Practice, listen to yourself and make corrections. And take lessons. I have been considering doing that myself.

Good luck

I think anything can happen... listen to Neil Young,
22 isn't too old at all, either ...many PHD's dont get their first job until they are 30.

I disagree with with RJM completely. Singing is a skill that can be developed. It's quicker if you have natural talent, but not a showstopper (pun- get it?) without.

5 years ago, I couldn't sing for nothing. Nowadays, I'm not great, but I'm getting decent tracks. Practice, listen to yourself and make corrections. And take lessons. I have been considering doing that myself.

Good luck

True (except in rare cases of tone deaf but the term "tone deaf" is so much abused that most people just assume they're tone deaf when what they really need is a good mentor).

You're never to old to learn to sing! Commit, practice every day, whenever you can, and use YouTube as your tool if you can't afford anything else... which is what I did for singing, I'm even learning to play Piano via Youtube! Singing success is a great channel and it helped me a lot. I'm on Youtube as Keri Shaw if you want to hear how they helped me!

start on easy material and work up, just like players start by playing easy stuf and then continue to get better....its never ending, which is the fun of it.

I'm 45. I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket for most of my life. Sense of pitch? Forget about it. Then one day something clicked, and I was not only able to sing in tune, but to actually hear when I was out of tune and make corrections. For some, it's a natural talent. For others, it takes years of training. For a few, it just happens. I can't tell you how or why it happens. The only advice I can give you is to listen to records until you know them like the back of your hand, and sing along.

I think anything can happen... listen to Neil Young,
22 isn't too old at all, either ...many PHD's dont get their first job until they are 30.

I must disagree. I got my first job as a Post Hole Digger when I was 14.

Anyway, my personal experience (or 2 cents if you will):
I grew up loving to sing. People told me I could sing. I had/have a great voice. But I loved to sing operatic vocals (Geoff Tate, Alvin Slaughter, etc.) and the sound of my falsetto is somewhere around Rocket J Squirrel (or Mickey Mouse) on steroids. So I thought my voice sucked. Turned out, I was just not good at singing what I wanted to sing. My voice was much more suited to Quiet Riot or Ozzy Osbourne. And even better at lower vocal ranges. When I came down to tenor or baritone, my voice sounds great. But I still can't sing into a studio setup without sounding flat.

Bottom line: I sound good live, but I can't sing in the studio. I can hear well with monitors, but not with headphones.
Don't give up on your dreams. Even if you get to be 40, you're not to old. Find a good coach (I had one in the early 80's that taught me more in a year than I could teach myself in a lifetime.) Some singing techniques are not "obvious" or "natural", but can only be learned. And again, "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?" "Practice."

Oh, and by the way. If you think your voice sucks, it will. You have to have the mindset as well.

Good luck

Exactly! Anyone can learn to sing, it's just that some learn faster than others. You have to be patient with yourself and not expect miracles overnight. And yes, take lessons, a vocal coach will know exactly what your voice needs. You can only become better if you train your instrument properly.

Back