Is there an amp doctor in the house!!!

goldtopchas

OK, I was playing my blackface super reverb the other night and it started to fade out. Before I could get to the switch, it popped the fuse. I replaced the fuse and it powers up. If I leave it on standby all is ok. When I switch the standby to on, the rectifier quickly glows cherry red and I have to shut it down before it blows the fuse. Any ideas? Do you think the trans. is shot? I recapped it recently..but have played it a good bit at high vol. with no problems.

I changed the rectifier before the gig. (I like a 5Y3GT at home for practice,but need more headroom on stage and use a gz34). I reset the Idle bias when I swapped the rect., like I always do. but obviously, something's wrong.
When I check the bias now(quickly, before I shut it down ) it's not registering ...O on the meter. I swapped the rectifier tube and it's the same. swapped power tubes, and it's the same.

Please don't bother saying "Take it to the shop" I'm a stubborn S.O.B. and insist on figuring this stuff out and doing the work myself. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Pull all the tubes, and then turn it on, but leave it in stand-by. What are the voltages coming from the PT. If any of those are wrong, you probably have a blown PT. They should be a little high because it is not seeing any load.

My guess would be a bad rectifier (and if it wasn't before, it is now, what with glowing red and all).

But to be frank, stuborn or not, you should take it to a shop and get it checked out. Certainly, they can do a better job than a bunch of guys on the internet who have never seen your amp.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back