is there a way to take the "omin" out of my behringer omnidirectional mics?

Eddee

is there a way to take the "omni" out of my behringer omnidirectional mics?

I just got 2 Behringer ECM 800s for drum OH's and other various uses. I know that recording in a good room is key to getting a good sound, but I don't have a good room. The omnidirectional pattern of the ECM's picks up all kinds of ambience and natural verb that I don't want. Are there any techniques or tricks I can use to focus the pickup pattern of these mics more forward? Thanks

Last edited:
Hmmm

I have never heard of a way to do this. The only thing i can think if is to form funnels out of thick foam and place the mic at the back of the funnel. Even with a very dampening foam I would think it could cause you other problems.

My aproach would be to make a tent or cubical out of second hand comforters or heavy blankets. Maybe you could hang them from the ceiling? If the room is small I would try hanging them on the walls.

PS old sleeping bags work pretty well. You'd be suprised what just a couple of treated walls can do to knock down the unwanted verb.

Good luck
F.S.

Let us know how it turns out. I am looking at getting a couple 800's for the same use. Now I am using 57's as overheads. Still had to treat the walls:)

F.S.

thanks freud. you should really pick up a pair of the ecms asap. they're discontinued, and there isn't any other $35 condensor mike that i know of. they give a pretty good sound, especially considering i paid 70 bucks for a pair. they would be great for room miking or anything like that.

i would have done better to go with different mikes with more of a cardoid response, but these were in my price range

OH No!!

I did not know that they were going away. Thanks for the tip.
I guess if I miss out I will go for the marshalls, but I have other things I need like good monitors. So it looks like I better move my ass.

Thanks

F.S.

One of the nice things about using omnis is that you can adjust the live to abience ratio by simply moving the mics closer in for live sound, or further back to get more ambience, without worrying about the tone changing due to proximity effect.

Placement is everything.

Listen to Harvey. The man knows his shit cold.;)

The only thing I could add is as far as room treatment is concerned:

Don't forget diffusion!

I miss my old garage because of the wonderful effect of all those shelves, offset walls, rafters, studs, race cars, bikes, appliances etc. ;)

Now I'm stuck in this rectangular room with smooth lath & plaster walls thats half the size of that garage. :eek:

It's gonna take some serious treatment to make a decent drum track in here. :(

BTW thanks for the heads-up on the Behringers Eddee. I've been meaning to pick up a pair but that lit a fire under my lazy ass!;)

That's crazy that behringer's discontinuing them. From what I can tell, they've been selling like crazy. Everyone seems to have a pair of those things.

Just wait...they'll be back soon, rebadged "pro" and sold at four times the price.

Funny thing is that they'd still be great value!

I'm gonna do what Freud said and drape some sleeping bags and blankets around my drum kit. Maybe it'll work. I'll move the mics in as close as I can w/o them being in the way, too.

Can you guys give me any suggestions on kick drum mics? I need a cheap one, and I was looking at the AT atm 25 or pro 25. Any others? Thanks a lot for all the help so far.

Eddee said:
Can you guys give me any suggestions on kick drum mics? I need a cheap one, and I was looking at the AT atm 25 or pro 25. Any others? Thanks a lot for all the help so far.

Either of those will do just fine.

do have any clips you could post, darrin? the setup you have is exactly what i'm going to end up with. any tips you can give me on getting good sound outa this equipment? any clips that you have at all would be helpful. thanks

Back