Is there a way to edit one mic recording on a wavetrack single MP3 in Audition?

rkearns10

Hi Guys!

So I recorded a podcast to MP3 using Pamela for Skype.. it's sadly only yielded a one track mp3 with two individual signals panned L/R for each recording end. -- I'd like to just edit one of the recordings (my own).. is there any way to isolate just that specific portion of the recording for editing and not edit the other?

There's various ways to do this in Audition.

An easy one is to right click the stereo file and, on the context menu that pops up, select "Extract channels to mono files". Then just pick the file with your voice and edit in the normal manner. Don't forget to Save the separate channel(s) before you exit since working in Waveform is destructive and doesn't save automatically.

(The above assumes you're on one of the current versions of Audition. Some of the older ones work a bit differently.)

Thanks so much for the response. -- I'm using Audition 2015 but I think I may be doing something wrong as I followed your directions and tried clicking on the isolated tracks in the lefthand taskbar once extracted to mono files and each separated L/R track still contains both recordings vs just one or the other.

Hmmm...there's not much you can get wrong in Audition.

Can you confirm that, in the two channel L/R mode, you have only your voice in one channel and only the incoming signal in the other? If they've been recorded as two identical tracks with both signals then separating them won't help at all. You'll just have to edit the hard way.

If that turns out to be the problem, may I suggest that next time you use "Free Skype Recorder" from Record Skype Calls with iFree Skype Recorder - Your FREE Skype call recorder software This is what I use and I can confirm it separates the tracks the way you need.

Back