is there a garage in the house?

smythology

OK, soon I want to get a house or land or whatever and build a studio in some sort of a garage-y room, if not an actual one. Been saving for ages. Large room? fine. High ceiling? fine. Vaulted? fine.

But, since I've never bought a house before and been living in apts. for the last 13 years, who can give me some pointers on buying the right house for a future recording studio. I kinda know bout taxes and fees and stuff. Except where to find it.

Are there like websites of company's that sell/build only garages or garage kits? Any realtors who specialize in selling the perfect studio-house?

Price ain't an object

robin

smyth,i recently bought a house with an attached garage.the house also has an un attached storage room(20x24)
when i set out house shopping,i let my realtor know that i had 2
specific needs:
1.the house would have to meet all of the ole ladys needs.
2.it had to have an area that could be converted to a studio.
origially i was gonna use the unattached store room for my
studio.i changed my mind for a couple of reasons,the main one being cost.
if what you want is a project studio,look for a house with a good sized attached garage.the square footage of an attached garage
is not included when you list a home so by building yer studio in it you increase the sqare footage and the homes value.
i have built mine in a way that the controll room wall can be torn out and the space used as a fourth bedroom/den,when i sell it.
when i do sell i will list the house as having a built in studio and see if that helps it sell.if not down comes the controll room wall.

Give serious consideration to the type of materials used in construction..............at least for the studio area, if not the whole house.

A standard timber framed garage will not stop your noise gettting out (annoying the neighbours), nor will it stop ANY outside noises coming in. A condenser mic will pick up a sparrow fart at 50 paces, wall or no wall:D .

The solution is to research (here and elsewhere) the various recommended methods of soundproofing this kind of construction.

A brick/masonary walled structure is better but should still be substantially improved upon................again, the same solution:)

Adding mass to the walls, ceiling, etc., (e.g; additional layers of sheetrock) and sealing ALL points against sound leakage is generally what you need to aim for.

If in time, you can give more specific details, then answers should be forthcoming.

:cool:

Back