Is there a downside to consolidating a track?

Bob F.

I recorded some guitar and vocal tracks for a friend yesterday. He wanted me to email the .wav files to him, so, for expedience in working with the files, I consolidated the vocal tracks, which had the largest 'gaps' between regions.

Is there a downside to this, perhaps adding unwanted information to the tracks? Potentially cause audio degradation?

Also, I sent the files via yousendit.com. Can doing that cause any loss of sound quality?

Should be fine. I use yousendit all the time. A file is a file. Bouncing tracks is actually ideal because you want the start times to all line up. Restarting a session in another DAW with unorganized files is a nightmare!

No, all you're doing is adding zeros in the gaps to fill out the file.

And sending the file is just a digital transfer. It does not alter the information.

the only downside (afaik) is that if you have two regeons that have been trimmed down, maybe two 10 second clips, each from 30 second recordings, you cant extend those regions out again once consolidated.
I would imagine protools keeps all the original files, and it might not even matter to you anyway but there you go.

if i ever need to consolidate, i tend to do it, then copy the new file to the desktop, then undo the consolidate. I'm paranoid though.

As mentioned, there's no downside in terms of adding unwanted info etc.

So, if I understand correctly, you can't trim the consolidation out and then extend the remaining regions?

i think i understand you.

you could trim it and extend it, but you wont see the audio that you would see if you extended the original regions.

I usually just group the regions rather than consolidate them. That way if I do need to go back and change something, I can just ungroup the regions and then you can still extend from the beginning or end of the region

i'm not sure i get it

if you record yourself saying 1 2 3 4 5,,then a new take saying a b c d e,,,then you trim it up so it says 1 2 3 d e.
If you consolodate, you can't get the 4 5 a b or c back by extending the regions.
You'd have to go and manually find the recorded takes.

Back