Is The Mic Broken?

Unknown Child

I've had my AT4033 for about 9 years now. Up until recently it worked great, but I've noticed that lately it doesn't have the same "energy" it once had. Basically, its not as pumpy as it once was, sounds a bit flat. I've moved to different places, had different setups and what not over time, but never have I felt it was as "energy-less" as it is now. Is this a possible symptom of its aging? Perhaps due to smoke? Maybe some dust? Just curious. Thanks.

Sounds like it needs a cleaning. The diaphragm of a condenser mic holds a charge that attracts all sorts of little tiny particles in the air. They tend to become polarized and stick to the diaphragm and after a lot of use and years and perhaps improper storage techniques, the diaphragm needs a cleaning. Its not something you can do at home. Take it to a tech who specializes in mic repair.
When a diaphragm gets encrusted it slows down its ability to respond and acts exactly as you describe.

Cavedog's right, but what you can (usually) do at home is have a look to confirm that this is the case.

Have a look at the mic under a light, or if you're confident and it's convenient, remove the grille.

It should be fairly obvious if it's bogged up.

Peeeeerfect! Thanks alot! Exactly what I needed to know. Was even contemplating purchasing the same mic new. Im guessing its much cheaper to get it cleaned... now the question is, does anyone know of anybody able to do this in Ontario Canada? Preferably Southwestern Ontario? We've got Long and McQuades and such, but I dont know if stores like that do this work?

Peeeeerfect! Thanks alot! Exactly what I needed to know. Was even contemplating purchasing the same mic new. Im guessing its much cheaper to get it cleaned... now the question is, does anyone know of anybody able to do this in Ontario Canada? Preferably Southwestern Ontario? We've got Long and McQuades and such, but I dont know if stores like that do this work?

The store may not but they will no doubt know who does.

Back