Is the M-Audio Delta 1010 still a wise purchase?

G. Simon

I ask because this model has been around since at least 2001. I need something w/at least 8 ins and 8 outs (I'm coupling this w/a Tascam 8x4x2 analog mixer), and I wondered if anyone here has another suggestion. Or, should I just go with the tried and true Delta 1010?

Thanks,
Glenn

I swear by mine. I have it linked with 2 Delta 410's for 18 inputs and 30 outputs to feed my mixer. When I can afford it I'll be replacing the 2 Delta 410s with another 2 Delta 1010s so I can keep all the inputs and outputs balanced

G. Simon said:
I ask because this model has been around since at least 2001. I need something w/at least 8 ins and 8 outs (I'm coupling this w/a Tascam 8x4x2 analog mixer), and I wondered if anyone here has another suggestion. Or, should I just go with the tried and true Delta 1010?

Thanks,
Glenn

If it fits your I/O needs what's better than a 1010 in that price range? It's got decent converters and soild drivers.

LemonTree said:
I swear by mine. I have it linked with 2 Delta 410's for 18 inputs and 30 outputs to feed my mixer. When I can afford it I'll be replacing the 2 Delta 410s with another 2 Delta 1010s so I can keep all the inputs and outputs balanced

I thought the 44 and 66 had balanced ins and outs?

amonte said:
I thought the 44 and 66 had balanced ins and outs?

I don't have a 44 or a 66. I have a 1010 and 2 410s. The 410 PCI is an unbalanced card, no longer produced I don't think.

If you can get one for a good price used, I'd say go for it. It's still a fairly solid investment at the right price.

However, since AKM have kind of raised the bar with their newer converter chips, I think we're going to see a lot of newer and improved audio interfaces coming out. M-audio have already come out with their Audiophile 192, and I wouldn't be surprized if we start seeing all of their interfaces upgraded to that standard. And it isn't so much about the increased sampling rate as it is about the better S/N ratio we're seeing with these chips -- even at the lower sampling rates.

EMU has some cards out right now with similar input options ... but with the latest converters and greater expandability. Right now, I'd say if you're on a tight budget, EMU have kind of raised the bar on the multiple-input soundcard market ... at least in terms of value for the money. Lately, M-audio have kind of let their hold on that market slip while they focus more on portable firewire / laptop compatible interfaces -- which is pretty cool, but it's almost like they're not interested in competing anymore in the PCI market.

chessrock said:
EMU has some cards out right now with similar input options ... but with the latest converters and greater expandability. Right now, I'd say if you're on a tight budget, EMU have kind of raised the bar on the multiple-input soundcard market ... at least in terms of value for the money. Lately, M-audio have kind of let their hold on that market slip while they focus more on portable firewire / laptop compatible interfaces -- which is pretty cool, but it's almost like they're not interested in competing anymore in the PCI market.

Good points

The Mackie 400F is also using those latest AKM converters. I'm thinking about selling my 1010 and picking up a 400f IF mackie ever releases it to production. The converters are not the main reason for that as I would think the Onyx pre's are a step up over my Studio 24 pre's.

The only thing that makes me nervous is the 1010 drivers have never once given me any problems. I don't know that much about Mackie.

Alexbt said:
I wouldn't call them solid at all. Inconsistant.

I've never had even one problem. But on the other hand I have heard of people having trouble so yeah, the mileage may vary.

therage! said:
The Mackie 400F is also using those latest AKM converters. I'm thinking about selling my 1010 and picking up a 400f IF mackie ever releases it to production. The converters are not the main reason for that as I would think the Onyx pre's are a step up over my Studio 24 pre's.

The amount of features and I/O options that thing has are just astounding.

Unfortunately, it isn't actually using "the latest" AKM chips. The newer ones being used in the Digi systems, Lynx cards, etc. have a dynamic range of 120 db, whereas the ones in the Mackie are in the 100 range. That's actually a big enough difference that you might be able to hear it in a recording. On the other hand, the amount of features and extras that thing packs are just unbelievable for the price.

Last edited:
chessrock said:
The amoung of features and I/O options that thing has are just astounding.

Unfortunately, it isn't actually using "the latest" AKM chips. The newer ones being used in the Digi systems, Lynx cards, etc. have a dynamic range of 120 db, whereas the ones in the Mackie are in the 100 range. That's actually a big enough difference that you might be able to hear it in a recording. On the other hand, the amount of features and extras that thing packs are just unbelievable for the price.

Your right, I was just looking at that. Looks like the 400F is a step up from the 1010 but still below the Lynx etc.

I hate getting gear lust but the 400 does look decent. I "should" probably just keep my 1010 and get my room treated instead. :)

LemonTree said:
I don't have a 44 or a 66. I have a 1010 and 2 410s. The 410 PCI is an unbalanced card, no longer produced I don't think.

LemonTree, I missed that, sorry - are you running in Win98? I've got a DMAN 2044 that won't run in XP.

i've been using the 1010lt for a year now and have experienced no problems with either the drivers or the hardware; i'll assume that the 1010 can only be *better*.

amonte said:
LemonTree, I missed that, sorry - are you running in Win98? I've got a DMAN 2044 that won't run in XP.

no, I'm on XP Pro, all the delta cards run on the same driver....fully XP compatibile.

I know there was an issue years back with the delta drivers, especialy for running multiple 1010s but, they worked hard and cured that fault

What pisses me off most on this board is a typical post of.... "I just bought a delta 1010 that I find incompatable with my Dtp/DAW/VIDEO editing system and my SB card won't work when I want to play games". M-Audio IMHO have a serious recording card here at a very compatible price, it's designed to run in a system dedicated to audio recording and production. For the price I say it can't be beaten in quality.

I'd also like to add, before I get fried, The delta 1010, or multiples of them in one system are best suited for studios with a real recording console with built in pre amps, it's just a converter from A to D and D to A, no preamps, no flashing lights. It's a solid convertor, at a very enticing price point. If you want to MITB then this card probably isn't for you

Alec

LemonTree said:
I'd also like to add, before I get fried, The delta 1010, or multiples of them in one system are best suited for studios with a real recording console with built in pre amps, it's just a converter from A to D and D to A, no preamps, no flashing lights. It's a solid convertor, at a very enticing price point. If you want to MITB then this card probably isn't for you
Alec

I understand your logic, and it makes sense, but I have to completely disagree on this point. I only mix in the box, and I used a 1010. A LOT of MITB people do, for that matter. The only thing is you need a/some preamp(s), whether from a mixer or standalone pres. Sure, there are solutions with built-in pres, but it's funny how often people buy them thinking they're set, then they realize they don't like the built-in pres and end up buying a DMP3 or something, anyway. Do a search on the Mbox or Firebox and you'll find some of these people.

Well, to extend my complaint of the drivers...

Perhaps it's just the Mac drivers? When I was using Mac OS X 10.3, my MIDI input never worked correctly. I would play in, and then I would lose the connection somehow. M-Audio blamed everything under the sun except their drivers.

The Mac Mixer for the Delta does not label the meters, so I can't tell what my levels are other than see if they're clipping or not.

I am in Mac OS X 10.4 now, and the MIDI problem is resolved. The meter problem is not, but now I cannot select individual stereo pairs for the non-recording applications I use, such as Skype. I do not have the option to output my system's sound output through stereo pairs either. I can only select the entire device, and I get output out of 1&2.

I wrote to M-Audio about the Skype issue. They told me to get a version of Skype that was compatible with 10.4.

That's what I was using.

With the competion from E-mu (1820M), you'd think M-audio would have upgraded the converters in the Delta line across the board by now.

Maybe it's the obsession with having 192Khz as well as better converters. Those converters support the faster rate, so I suppose they feel they should allow you to use it.

The Delta cards rely on a chip called an Envy24 (made by Via). This basically interfaces the converters to the pci bus. The usual version that supports up to 8 inputs + s/pdif tops out at 96Khz. The Envy24HT (used in the Audiophile192), which does support 192Khz; only allows 4 inputs, one of which can be s/pdif. You can see this same input limit in the Esi range of 192Khz cards as they also use the Envy24HT.

Personally, I would rather they changed to better converter chips and just ignored the 192Khz. I can't see myself wanting it and certainly not at the expense of fewer inputs.

therage! said:
Your right, I was just looking at that. Looks like the 400F is a step up from the 1010 but still below the Lynx etc.

I hate getting gear lust but the 400 does look decent. I "should" probably just keep my 1010 and get my room treated instead. :)

:D There's no "probably" about it! I have a Motu 24 input soundcard I kind of inherited, but I'm actually going to downgrade from that so as to have more money to properly treat my rooms (I'll never need 24 I/O). The room acoustics are the most important link in the chain, and we ignore them for so long.

I bought a Delta 1010 when they first came out, got alot of use out of it and did have a few driver issue's but nothing big, the only reason i dont use it as much now is becouse i bought a Presonus Firepod becouse i needed the xlr pre's. regardless its a good buy.

Back