Is the Behringer Mini series OK?

sathyan

My recorder is a Fostex MR-8HD which I've just realized does not have an equalization section! After looking at some block diagrammes I think I would like to equalize after preamp/DI but before conversion to digital.
Here's my typical recording chain:

Yamaha electric violin --> preamp/DI --> Fostex line in

Behringer* has a series of MINI sound processors and I'm particularly interested in the FBQ800 9-band equalizer (http://www.behringer.com/FBQ800/index.cfm?lang=eng) . The specifications are quite good THD of .003 S/N of 95 Crosstalk of 80. It does not have XLR or balanced TRS but with short cable runs this may not be a problem. Do any of you have experience with this product or the MINI line more generally.

Price is a factor here. At $40 street it is about 1/4 the price of a Samson. If I can get a substantially better product for under $100 I would consider it (I only need one channel)

thanks
sathyan

*I've tried some of their products. While I won't trust them for amplification or A/D-D/A, others are clean enough.
MIC100 - too noisy
HA4700 - too noisy for binaural mix or acoustic; passable for rock tracking
DI100 - satisfied, does the job

Does the Fostex really not have EQ in the digital realm for editing sound files?

If not, I wouldn't go with Behri anything - it'll just noise up the sound. I'd say try exporting the songs from the Fostex to a computer (if ya got one), making any EQ changes there, and then dragging them back to the Fostex.

I'd be surprised if the Fostex really doesn't have EQ built-in anywhere in that crazy menuing system, but all the same, zsounds mentions you can import and export audio tracks to PC, so I'd say go with that option.

Huh. Just googled "Fostex MR-8HD equalization" and a product review came up for it also saying there's no EQ. Sorry for doubting, it just seems like the most standard thing you would want in a recording device of any sort. Regardless, the person giving that review also said they simply took the tracks over to PC, used a program like Reaper or Audacity to edit the tracks, and then sent them back to continue working. Cheers!

If you do have a computer and can edit there, voxengo makes some nice eq plug ins that aren't terribly expensive (looks like you don't want to buy eiosis air eq or the like if you want to keep it under $100.)

I guess the argument for doing it post conversion is that you can always change your mind.

Yep, I have one and was shocked that there is no prvision for EQ except for four global presets.

I really don't understand why some of these people here seem to have a hard on for behringer products. I own 2 mixers XENYX 2442FX and a MX 2442, 2 Autocom compressors, and 2 ultra graph pro EQ's http://www.behringer.com/FBQ1502/index.cfm?lang=eng They cost me around $100.00 each and are very quiet. I can tell you, when it comes to something I can depend on my Behringer gear works as hard as I need it to. Either in the studio or in conjunction with my Carvin 7,000 watt consert system. My point is you can buy really good fully functional really quiet gear without breaking the bank.. Musicions Friend has some of the best deals around at http://www.musiciansfriend.com I hope that helps you with your problem.

Griz

To be totally blunt. Noone will ever tell you Behringer is great. Not bad but definitely not great. You need to understand that as far as bang for your buck Behringer is the best option. All my live equiptment is Behringer and some recording gear and I have no complaints with it, Although I must add that Behringer is known for unbalanced outputs.
If you are serious about recording and have the money I would look into something better for sure. That being said, I have never had a problem with Behringer and would recommend their products

Back