is something wrong with these?

That's a whole other thread.

- The material is not double layered - but you can get the cheapest breathable fabric they have for the backs and sides which are hidden - it doesn't matter what it looks like - nice facing fabric like felt is usually more expensive than cheap cotton. You could do it all in the same fabric if you find a good deal. Most traps I have built have a substantial area that is not really seen so it doesn't have to look perfect.

If you look at some of my past threads - I think the chronology thread - there are links to some good instructions for building traps although I modified those a bit, you should be able to see the differences in the pics.

:facepalm: @ REW V5.... more learning :eek:

Alright, I got you- basically I need to get a bunch of fabric to cover the traps. I thought the fabric has a trapping purpose :o

Just gotta make it look all purty and stuff so dainbramage doesnt put bleach in my water ?

The learning never ends man. Well, it will slow down a bit. :)

The fabric has very little effect on the performance of the trap, unless it is tight weaved and reflective. This would really only affect the high frequencies. Adding a paper membrane to the face of a corner trap actually increases it's efficiency for low end.

Don't let mom pick your fabric! We have seen what she likes. :eek:

Don't let mom pick your fabric! We have seen what she likes. :eek:

:eek: I HAVE to stick with solid colors... NO MORE FLOWERS!

Well, as long as I get either cotton, felt, or burlap I'm good right?

Yeah, learning has been piling in as of late. It's fine though, at least I don't have to be depressed by writers block!

Yep, I like the cotton personally, has a nice shine to it. But get what ever is cheaper if you don't care too much. Just have fun in the fabric store lol

A great place o pick up on chicks! Well, if you are into older gals.

Cotton/poly blends are most likely cheaper. Loosely woven. Just do the breath test. You should be able to breathe through it easily. So yeah, have fun in the cloth store while the gals watch you breathing through random cloths. lol! Good times!

I just bought a compressor and 2" brad nailer/stapler! About to kick some panel ass! :D

Air tools are the win dude. I got a nail-gun, staple gun and a paint sprayer. You can get an awesome finish with those air brush guns.
I got a big (eg LOUD) compressor in my garage closet and I ran the air-hoses through the wall and they drop from the ceiling - it's pretty sweet.

I just bought a vinyl plotter too! Now I can make up some crazy graphics for guitars and cars and bars and stars and stuff...

Kid - I would measure that window frame and build a base trap that fits snug into it - would open the room up a lot and probably be more effective at blocking sound out of your window than that mattress - make sure it's at least 6" thick Roxul though :D - bonus - absorbs bass AND blocks sound escaping through the window - double win!!

Oh and REW is a freaking nightmare - I can barely make sense of it - stick to 1/3 octave smoothing it makes it easier.

Also - the real trick with REW (and any measurement) is that you need to do it in several spots so you can compare and see where the spikes/nulls are - FUN!

Air tools are the win dude. I got a nail-gun, staple gun and a paint sprayer. You can get an awesome finish with those air brush guns.
I got a big (eg LOUD) compressor in my garage closet and I ran the air-hoses through the wall and they drop from the ceiling - it's pretty sweet. 9

I just bought a vinyl plotter too! Now I can make up some crazy graphics for guitars and cars and bars and stars and stuff...

Kid - I would measure that window frame and build a base trap that fits snug into it - would open the room up a lot and probably be more effective at blocking sound out of your window than that mattress - make sure it's at least 6" thick Roxul though :D - bonus - absorbs bass AND blocks sound escaping through the window - double win!!

God. Air compressor. Ugh. Helped my dad with tires on my moms van yesterday :eek: that stupid loud rumble made me grind my teeth. Now they hurt.

And I've got the okay on the window trap. I can do it on both :D. Will that be too much treatment?

Oh and REW is a freaking nightmare - I can barely make sense of it - stick to 1/3 octave smoothing it makes it easier.

Also - the real trick with REW (and any measurement) is that you need to do it in several spots so you can compare and see where the spikes/nulls are - FUN!

Like move the speakers around? Fuck. That. Ill just take your word on needing the treatment

God. Air compressor. Ugh. Helped my dad with tires on my moms van yesterday :eek: that stupid loud rumble made me grind my teeth. Now they hurt.

And I've got the okay on the window trap. I can do it on both :D. Will that be too much treatment?

Yeah, noises like that rattle my brain too. Stick it outside the garage and close the door.

You will have a hard time over-treating a room that size. 50% of walls/ceiling covered would probably still not be too much. Getting the basic stuff going is your best start.

Like move the speakers around? Fuck. That. Ill just take your word on needing the treatment

Naw, take measurements from different places in the room to find out where you need more treatment. You really don't have the space to place your monitors in a different place. Just getting the basic stuff done, will help tremendously. -wow, don't think I have ever used that word. lol!

yeah - what jimmy said - just move the mic around.

Really you can do it without the mic - just move around yourself and listen - you should be able to hear a problem - do a sine wave from 40Hz to 10khz in like 60 second loops and just move around the room - you want your listening position to be equal in all frequencies. Or you at least need to know which ones are peaking so you can take it in consideration when mixing.

If you have a big spike at 200hz or a big null at 100 and you try to compensate in your mixes, they will sound like ass in any other place because of your specific room properties.

Naw, take measurements from different places in the room to find out where you need more treatment. You really don't have the space to place your monitors in a different place. Just getting the basic stuff done, will help tremendously. -wow, don't think I have ever used that word. lol!

Since I've rearranged a bit in there, I can get some monitor stands so I can atleast have them that 4 feet apart.

yeah - what jimmy said - just move the mic around.

Really you can do it without the mic - just move around yourself and listen - you should be able to hear a problem - do a sine wave from 40Hz to 10khz in like 60 second loops and just move around the room - you want your listening position to be equal in all frequencies. Or you at least need to know which ones are peaking so you can take it in consideration when mixing.

If you have a big spike at 200hz or a big null at 100 and you try to compensate in your mixes, they will sound like ass in any other place because of your specific room properties.

I think I might do both. Any mic tips? LDC?

Bought my wood today, and ordered the panels :D they should be in Sunday.

With the free-standing/wall panels- You said order another case of the 24x48. So those will only be 3" thick? Just build a frame around each insulation panel?

And thanks for all the help :drunk:.

Any omni condensor will work fine

And I'm fookin' lost on that REW stuff. I set the preferences to where the input was my US1800. I was running my Studio Projects B1 into it. Then I clicked on the calibrate thing, which had me adjust the input volume to the output volume or something. After not figuring that out. I turned off the computer and went to lowes :facepalm:

In a soft voice....Lowes is a great place to find inner peace. Once you find that the signs of 'Enter' and 'Exit' are merely suggestions, and that the doors work for either, then you will achieve inner peace. Oh, and yes, REW can be a friggen mind fu*k!

In a soft voice....Lowes is a great place to find inner peace. Once you find that the signs of 'Enter' and 'Exit' are merely suggestions, and that the doors work for either, then you will achieve inner peace. Oh, and yes, REW can be a friggen mind fu*k!

i love lowes. when i was a senior in high school i would go there for off campus lunch. just creep around. eat some peanuts and drink red bull while looking around :D

Back