is selling cds out the trunk of your car dead?

james_face

Ive heard both that it is dead and that it is not whats your take on selling units out the trunk I mean independent artist can't be found on the net to down load or can they because all I find is mainstream artist some indie but the major of the indie as for the rest you gotta buy a cd and burn away or am I wrong maybe Im not looking hard enough

The internet is a great way to advertise yourself due to the fact that you can get your music out to basically the globe with a click of a button. Selling cds out of your trunk is not a bad way to promote locally but it would not have the mass effect that the internet can bring. Thing about is, everyone knows this to and that is why there is a BOOM of artists putting music out over the interent. Either way it will not hurt you. Selling cds out of your trunk is obviously more personal and you can talk to the people that your trying to sell your music to. Id say get yourself a good internet strategy (myspace, facebook, soundclick, etc.) and start getting your music out there. It will not happen over night but believe me, and sorry if this is corny, if you build it they will come. If it captures the audience they will want to buy it. Make sure you put GOOD stuff out on the interent. Its always like a first impression, if its bad then they will not remember you, good they will look into you and your music more. Good Luck.

co sign 1000% with ^^post. Stealth nailed it with that one. Selling out of the trunk is definitely not dead but you will not reach as many as promoting over the net. Plus its less expensive. BUT as with stealth said make sure your music and promotion skills are on point because there are thousands doing the same thing. I say a good mixture of both def will not hurt.

Ive heard both that it is dead and that it is not whats your take on selling units out the trunk I mean independent artist can't be found on the net to down load or can they because all I find is mainstream artist some indie but the major of the indie as for the rest you gotta buy a cd and burn away or am I wrong maybe Im not looking hard enough
I will still do 'Trunk Sales' with future projects, however, I will only make 50 copies because statistically, artists in the U.S. sell an average of 50 copies. (Scary, when you think that the average includes all of the really big sellers, most people sell way less than 50 copies).

Another great way to move product is to charge more for admission and include a 'free CD', spin the show as a CD release party.

Once you run out of 50 copies, get another 50 made.

I will still do 'Trunk Sales' with future projects, however, I will only make 50 copies because statistically, artists in the U.S. sell an average of 50 copies. (Scary, when you think that the average includes all of the really big sellers, most people sell way less than 50 copies).

Another great way to move product is to charge more for admission and include a 'free CD', spin the show as a CD release party.

Once you run out of 50 copies, get another 50 made.

Right on Jack.

Selling CDs in stores is going the way of the dinosaur, trunk sales can't be far behind...

There are tons of great deals out there where you can spend around $200 bucks for 100 cds full color and packaged. It is best to do it this way unless you have a super following which most indie artists dont. Test your product, buy 100 and when/if you sell them use the profit to produce more. Most people would love to see a profit right away but it just doesnt happen unless your backed. I found buying a 100 cds and selling those out and doing the same thing over a couple of times worked out. Out of the trunk sales are limited these days but your best bet is at shows or internet. Shows are more personal so that is where most mine sold.

Back