Is Rick Rubin a genius?

Prizmaxic

The Shizz
His name is always thrown around like he is some type of producing God, and he seems to produce all the biggest names. Is he really that good or is it just hype?

He can be really good, at times. Then again the last two records of his which I heard (RHCP by the way, and Audioslave) had really shitty mixes. Those are bands I would have thought would have enough clought to get a good mix, so I think he is responsable. Maybe not, though.

And he did produce Blood Suger Sex Magic.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

What? They think it's their worst album? That's their *only* good album ever!

My respect for RHCP is steadily decreasing, I can tell ya that...

Neil Ogilvie said:
........ The album that RHCP's think of as their worst album......

I'm more of a Jerry Finn man though myself ;)

He is not my favorite producer, but I like that record a lot. If they do not like it, I would guess it is because of the personal stress they went through around that time. I mean their worst record is the one with Dave Navarro, so whatever.

My favorite producer, though, is without question, Mitchell Froom. This is particularly true when he is working with his normal engineer, Tchad Blake. The two of them work together to make some amazing records. They would be followed closely, in all likelihood, by Daniel Lanois.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I think in order to really appreciate the guy, you have to look at what he did with the Beastie Boys.

They really had no right sounding that good. :D I'd say RR was responsible for about 80% of their sound.

Plus, they named a sandwich after the guy, so he must be worth something. Alright, I'll admit that was bad.

If he's a genius, then what was he thinking when he worked on Danzig's first album? The guitars have no balls.

David Sardy?

Wow! I didnt think anyone knew about him!

deadleafecho, have you heard Sardy's band Barkmarket?

If not, I would recomend their album Vegas Throat (1991?) for a great slab of thick as shit heavy guitar art rock and Sardy is a good vocalist as well. Sardy recorded and produced it. Barkmarket has some other albums too but they just kind of started making the smae record over and over.

Anyway, I love Sardy's engineering style.

Twonky

"Gimmick" was pretty good, I think around "L Ron" is when they seemed to run out of new ideas.

anyway, its sounds real good though

He's done some pretty cool stuff. After I became aware of him I noticed he had produced alot of my favorite albums by the Beastie Boys, RHCP, Sheryl Crow, Tom Petty, The Cult, Johnny Cash. I don't know if he's a genious but I'd be proud to have that body of work.

I'm still sort of new to the whole recording thing, but I've read a great deal on the new RHCP album being overcompressed. Well I had 2 buddies over yesterday jamming and one of them was doing the funky Can't Stop bassline, so I checked out the song. The ending... the vocals where he sings, doesn't sound very natural... sounds very compressed... and I don't even have much experience with telling.

twonky said:
David Sardy?
deadleafecho, have you heard Sardy's band Barkmarket?
Twonky
Of course! i have every album of theirs i can find, vegas throat,gimmick,lard room , and L Ron.
Personally i think Gimmick is their best material, and L Ron is their best engineered album. Dave kinda has his own sound, and you can hear it on almost every album he does. Great example of his work is the last helmet album. I loved the way it sounded, though im curious what it sounds to me know after the years heh......think ill put it in...

Back