Is One Monitor Any Use??...

Lotus

Hey gang! This is my second post here...GREAT FORUM!! :D
I was about to post this in the mixing/mastering section but i thought it best to put it here seeing as its certainly a beginner question...
Im about 3 months away from getting myself a pair of studio monitors...A friend of mine had an old Yamaha MS20S active monitor lying around so he gave it to me for nothing...My question is: Can i do anything at all as regards mixing with this one monitor? It seems quite common for monitors to be sold single so i was wondering how technicians use single monitors in their work... I realise that the Yahama MS20S isnt a great monitor to begin with but maybe i can practice a little with it anyway...any tips or suggestions would be more than welcome! :p

MadAudio said:
Mixing in mono?

I set my output to mono and mix then??
I had thought of that but wouldnt there be different dynamics involved?..what i mean is,,,if i mixed in mono and got a good sounding mix would it not sound different then in stereo??

what i meant was that i could set my 2 stereo channels to come out out of the one monitor and then mix...The signal from both left and right channels would be present but just all in one speaker......dont know if it would work though..which is why im here i guess!! :p

Lotus said:
I set my output to mono and mix then??
I had thought of that but wouldnt there be different dynamics involved?..what i mean is,,,if i mixed in mono and got a good sounding mix would it not sound different then in stereo??
Mono is basically used for radios or TV's with one speaker...Stereo on the other hand is used for music...soundtracks ..etc....I think....I do not know a lot myself yet...so if I told you wrong, I am SORRY....hopefully someone else will come along... :)

true-eurt said:
Mono is basically used for radios or TV's with one speaker...Stereo on the other hand is used for music...soundtracks ..etc....I think....I do not know a lot myself yet...so if I told you wrong, I am SORRY....hopefully someone else will come along... :)

thanks anyway!! :p
...i was thinking that you could maybe use a single monitor for mixing volume levels and maybe some channel frequency settings, you know, stuff that isnt exclusively related to the stereo field, although im probably way off, i bet its much more complicated than that!!

Lotus said:
what i meant was that i could set my 2 stereo channels to come out out of the one monitor and then mix...The signal from both left and right channels would be present but just all in one speaker......dont know if it would work though..which is why im here i guess!! :p
No, because you'd probably get some phase cancellation along the line and then wonder why it sounds like crap. To mix in mono you'd only need to use one output (typically the left) and have everything panned center.

Mono used to be used for music, too. Think early Beatles records.

Most software sequencers have an option to check your stereo mix in mono. I believe mix engineers often check their mix in mono during a mixing session to help determine if there are phase problems or to see if it still sounds well-balanced. Sort of off the point, just thought I'd throw in some useful purposes for listening in mono.

Do you have ANY idea what stereo is???????

Lotus said:

gordone said:
Do you have ANY idea what stereo is???????

...simply put, stereo is 2 separate channels of audio containing two separate audio signals...there IS a difference between having a single channel routed to one speaker and 2 SEPARATE channels routed to one speaker...For example, if you had a vocal in the left channel and a different vocal in the right, in the first config you would only hear one vocal (depending on which channel had routed) and in the second config you would hear both vocal channels..both sounds would be from different channels sources and could be altered separately even though routed through one speaker...does this answer your question? ;)

Actually, one powered monitor is very useful, but not necessarily as a monitor. Try this for jollies.- Plug an electric guitar into the high-z input of a preamp, direct box, or a modeler, such as a POD. Plug the balanced line out of said device into the line in of the powered monitor, and mic it up. Most powered monitors are the "near field" type. Start with your ear close enough so you can hear the tweeter and woofer as separate sounds. Move back slowly until you can't separate them. Stop. Put the best mic you have right there. You can get some wonderful clean sounds that way. Don't crank it so that it distorts. A distorting monitor is not a pretty thing. Keep the volume low. Almost no noise, and a very accurate rendition of the amp and cab model from a modeler. It will sound like ass in the room as the only place it will sound right in the near field, It will rock on headphones, though, if you do it right. -Richie

Last edited:
Hi Lotus

Hmmm...

Very interesting thread...
- 1. If you're going to record music - Use stereo...

- 2. Montiors are usually sold individually so that manufacturers can give you the price (ea.) and make you think the TWO speakers in the picture are cheaper... (This is my thought anyway! :rolleyes: )

- 3. I like mshilarious's idea that you use it in conjunction with a larger system... Get two studio monitors and use it as a subwoofer (If the frequencies are that low), or part of a surround system...

- 4. The only thing I can think of that I'd use a single monitor for would be some of the suggestions listed here... a. check for phasing b. plug in an effects pedal as an amp or something like that...

Do you understand the stereo concept???

Of course I understand Stereo. I was just commenting on how Lotus thought he could mix in stereo using one speaker, because both the L/R would come of the single speaker. The problem is that there would be no stereo image, so you might as well be mixing without ANY speaker (or just not mix!)

Riverdog said:
Question in the last post was posed to 'gordone'...

Lotus said:
what i meant was that i could set my 2 stereo channels to come out out of the one monitor and then mix...The signal from both left and right channels would be present but just all in one speaker......dont know if it would work though..which is why im here i guess!

Richard Monroe said:
Actually, one powered monitor is very useful, but not necessarily as a monitor. Try this for jollies.- Plug an electric guitar into the high-z input of a preamp, direct box, or a modeler, such as a POD. Plug the balanced line out of said device into the line in of the powered monitor, and mic it up. Most powered monitors are the "near field" type. Start with your ear close enough so you can hear the tweeter and woofer as separate sounds. Move back slowly until you can't separate them. Stop. Put the best mic you have right there. You can get some wonderful clean sounds that way. Don't crank it so that it distorts. A distorting monitor is not a pretty thing. Keep the volume low. Almost no noise, and a very accurate rendition of the amp and cab model from a modeler. It will sound like ass in the room as the only place it will sound right in the near field, It will rock on headphones, though, if you do it right. -Richie
What a cool idea! Have you tried the putting a pair of headphones over an acoustic guitar trick? I keep meaning to but I always worry I'm gonna bust them or something.

christ!!..i forgot about this thread!..thanks for the input guys,,,gordone, of course i understand what you meant,,i cant use one speaker to hear a stereo field..well duh!!! im not THAT much of a newbie!! ;)

huh?

Just out of curiosity, what is the headphones over the guitar trick?

Would you use the headphones as a mic, or what?

Thanks.

Back