Is Once Enough ?

This immediately comes to mind. “Never Been any Reason” by Head East. Great tune, every thing else they’ve done is just slop. (IMHO)

Reactions: TAE
A top choice for me would be the album Santana III

What I've heard before this seemed like warm-ups and rehearsals for this, and nearly everything after paled. It's the only record or album of theirs I ever bought and continue to listen to.

Then there's Katrina and The Waves' Walking On Sunshine - so much energy
That song and performance grabs me whenever I hear it. I come close to blowing out my car's speakers when I catch it on the radio. Still, never even looked for any of their other material.

Last edited:
The only one that comes to mind is "I Could Be Good For You" by 707. I absolutely loved that song back in the 80's but I don't recall ever hearing anything else by them and I never bought the album. I still dig that song.

Matt Johnson / The The made what I consider to be one of the best 80s songs with the single version of "Uncertain Smile" which had a fragility missing from the later album version. Nothing else that he has done since has made up for the disappointment of what he did to that song on the album. I also can't forgive Jools Holland for just plonking away for ages on the album piano outro without really understanding the strength of the song.

This is the nearest I can find although, contrary to what it claims, it isn't the 7" version.

Then there's Katrina and The Waves' Walking On Sunshine - so much energy
That song and performance grabs me whenever I hear it. I come close to blowing out my car's speakers when I catch it on the radio. Still, never even looked for any of their other material.

Turn it over and listen to the B side. You'll probably know the song because The Bangles covered it but I love Kimberley Rew's guitar on this one.

1672196514727.png

I for sure vaguely remember this but I never bought the album and don't remember the name of the band

Not sure why it came to me to hunt it down but ...see back in the late 70's we had some really kick ass players and bands in La La land that were unsigned.
We shared a rehearsal place where what became Motley Crue rehearsed. Another band there was called Yankee Rose..It was not my kind of music because we were trying to be prog rock...Jethro tull direction but I knew these guys were amazing and they were on their way to making it. Kind of a Rush meets Thin Lizzy thing...cool guitar harmonies both guitarist were virtuoso's...did I mention that same rehearsal space was also Charvels guitars home for several early years...Always some world famous guitarist showing up. I don't know if the song Yankee Rose by VH is a tip of the hat to this band or not but it certainly could be. The two bands knew of each other and had respect for each other when they were all just pups... The two guitarist in this band Donny Simmons and John Rockwood were in the top tier of 6 string gun slingers at the time with Eddie, Randy, Tracy G and a few other unsigned but soon to be world famous guitarist. I scoured the google trying to find some recordings and could only find a few but this one gives you an idea of a band you've never heard that you should have heard...the Old "I coulda been a contender thing" except they really could have, should have but signed the wrong record deal and got shelved into oblivion...I introduce to you YANKEE ROSE God rest Donny Simmons beautiful soul...

Are there any artists who you rate really highly, purely on the strength of one album or song and have nothing else by them and haven't been interested in pursuing them further, for whatever reason ?
There are many one-hit wonders. Don McLean's American Pie is in my top 5 all-time favorite songs. But, he never released anything else I'd listen to. Elvin Bishop's Fooled Around... Dave Mason:We Just Disagree, Gerry Rafferty Baker Street, Todd Rundgren Hello It's Me to name just a few.

There are many one-hit wonders. Don McLean's American Pie is in my top 5 all-time favorite songs. But, he never released anything else I'd listen to. Elvin Bishop's Fooled Around... Dave Mason:We Just Disagree, Gerry Rafferty Baker Street, Todd Rundgren Hello It's Me to name just a few.
Gerry Rafferty had a few hits and wasn't a one hit wonder.

I was a big Don McLean fan. I think he was rather more of an artist than a pop entertainer. If I could write two great songs like American Pie and Vincent, I would be very happy. But he had a few more really good songs. "Castles in the Air" comes to mind and a few others. Vincent was a smash, not as big as American Pie, but huge.

If you look at Todd Rundgren's resume, he was one of the most influential producers of the 70's/80's, a very large catalog.

I really love listening to Elvin Bishop. Fooled Around was the hit, but he's a monster player. This is a guy who traded licks with Mike Bloomfield. The man has put out something like 20 albums since leaving the Paul Butterfield Blues Band in the late 60s.

Our band was playing Travelin' Shoes back in '75. Struttin My Stuff, Juke Joint Jumpin are great tunes. He's worth seeking out.

As for Todd Rundgren, he's amazing. Some of his hits - Open My Eyes with Nazz, We Gotta Get You A Woman with Runt, Hello Its Me, It would't Have Made Any DIfference, I Saw The Light were all hits off Something/anything. Bang the Drum All Day, and he did a duet with Bonnie Tyler - Loving You's a Dirty Job.

And who can forget the "motorcycle" guitar solo from Bat Out Of Hell!

Thinking of groups that had a hit and never did much else, Ides of March did Vehicle. It was up there with BS&T and Chicago in popularity. There's nothing after that, although Jim Peterick did a bunch of other stuff including Eye of The Tiger.

Another brass infused band was Chase. Their first album had Get It On which was a hit. The whole album was good. I don't think I ever saw their second album anywhere (I would have bought it) and then Bill Chase and some other band members were killed in a plane crash (shades of Lynyrd Skynyrd!)

Todd Rundgren's A Dream Goes On Forever is an impressive recording, specially. Earphones suggested.

While understandably not everyone's cup of tea, A Wizard A True Star is pretty awesome.

Todd Rundgren's A Dream Goes On Forever is an impressive recording, specially. Earphones suggested.

Spatially, that should read spatially. Stuff is going on all over the place. Headphones or possibly earbuds suggested to enhance the listening experience.

Jo Jo Gunne's Run Run Run was a big hit...I saw em live once and they totally kicked ass...but that's the only song that I can remember...

One n done :(

Yeah, I remember Jay Ferguson from back in the Spirit days Dr Sardonicus was a great album. I had Jo Jo Gunne's first album after he and the drummer started that group.

Seems he's found a better route for making money with his music. He was the soundtrack composer for The Office and does the music for NCIS Los Angeles.

Jo Jo Gunne's Run Run Run was a big hit...I saw em live once and they totally kicked ass...but that's the only song that I can remember...

One n done :(

I have this in heavy rotation on my play list.

I remember Jay Ferguson from back in the Spirit days Dr Sardonicus was a great album
Spirit would be one of the bands I'd put in this category. I like "The 12 Dreams of...." and regard it as an early American effort in nascent progressive rock. But I never felt the need to check them out any further than this album.

Back