Is my setup enough?

travis16vp

I have a tascam 788 and I'm planning to sell it and get a Korg D888. I need it for the portability. However, I want to do the mixing on my pc. I have a P4 1.8 Ghz, 384 mb ram and I'm planning to use Cubasis Go which I guess is like Cubase LE. The most number of instruments that I'll have to work on will probably be 16. Is this setup enough? Or should I be getting another 512mb of ram to start working? thanks

More RAM!!! Like you said. You will probably be limited on processor intensive plugs, but you could always bounce tracks with the plugs in if that gets tough. Make sure that you keep your audio files on a separate drive from Cubasis, this will help in the streaming of the tracks, and you should be able to do 16.

1 gb of ram is average...384mb is quite low. also, u might encounter some difficulties with ur system running multiple plug-ins,processors etc. P4 2.5ghz+ is pretty normal for recording.

I'm thinking of adding 2 512mb of ram to make it 1 gig. About my processor, does it really make a difference from 1.8 to 2.5Ghz? 2.5Ghz processors are way too expensive over here and I was wondering if 1.8 would be enough. Would the RAM make up for it?

switch to AMD. Get a great AMD system for hardly more then you'd buy a new stupid Intel for. haha :D

Oh no, i hope i didnt start a flame on this topic.

I think your first step should definitely be the RAM - you'll most likely find that upgrading to a gig of RAM will be more than sufficient with your P4 1.8, and it's way cheaper and easier than changing your processor!
You can always upgrade that later if you're still having troubles...

Dont worry too much about the CPU yet. Your first priority should be to purchase additional RAM. then if ur system requires that extra horsepower, get a faster CPU.

Back