Is my Opcode Studio 4 a SMPTE generator

karambos2

I have a Studio 4 midi interface from Opcode. I would like to start putting sound to film via my Mac G4 (dual 1GHz) and Logic sequencer.

I believe I will need a SMPTE generator. Can my Studio 4 generate SMPTE? Will it also convert SMPTE into MTC (midi time code) or the other way around? Do I even need MTC? Do I need a SMPTE generator?

Thx

You only need to use a SMPTE generator if you have the capability to stripe a video tape with SMPTE and then use that to lock your Mac to. You can't do this with a standard VCR, you realize...

These days it's pretty standard to digitize the video you are scoring and work with it directly on the computer. Then the music you add is automatically locked with the SMPTE inherent in the digital video file; no synching or SMPTE/MTC translation issues at all.

Actually you can do it on a standard VCR. You just dub the tape over to another Stereo VCR and put the audio on one track and the SMPTE on the other.

I don't know what the Studio 4 is capable of. Check your manual. If you do need to get one the older Midiman Sync boxes worked great and you should be able to get one used for pretty cheap.

Back