Is mixing different from recording?

Dimetre

Is recording different from mixing? Because did a small recording setup this is how it goes:

Software SONAR 3 Producer Edition

computer1
soundcard ----> headphone

computer1
soundcard <==input1 <===mixer1 <=== vocal processor<== mic
<==input2<===mixer1 <===videoke

videoke input is my trak1 and
mic input is my track to

The sound turns up nice when Im using headphones and Windows Media Player though it sounds a little less because When I turn up the sounds volume it the sound turns up less and when I put it in a CD and hear it on a pioneer component the reverb is too much on my voice and the music from videoke is less louder than that of my voice.

Is recording different from mixing? What do I need if I want to Master the sound I created right?

Please help me.

To all those members thats been answering my questions and helping me thank you very much for your help and making homerecording as great as you people. I love this site!!!

Dimetre

"Recording" is when you are recording - Actually playing and recording a representation of what you are doing/singing/playing.

"Mixing" is when you are playing back those raw tracks together and mixing them into a single interwoven stereo track.

Other than that, your Sonar manual will be a huge help.

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Dimetre said:
Is recording different from mixing? Because did a small recording setup this is how it goes:

Software SONAR 3 Producer Edition

computer1
soundcard ----> headphone

computer1
soundcard <==input1 <===mixer1 <=== vocal processor<== mic
<==input2<===mixer1 <===videoke

videoke input is my trak1 and
mic input is my track to

The sound turns up nice when Im using headphones and Windows Media Player though it sounds a little less because When I turn up the sounds volume it the sound turns up less and when I put it in a CD and hear it on a pioneer component the reverb is too much on my voice and the music from videoke is less louder than that of my voice.

Is recording different from mixing? What do I need if I want to Master the sound I created right?

Please help me.

To all those members thats been answering my questions and helping me thank you very much for your help and making homerecording as great as you people. I love this site!!!

Dimetre

The unwritten rule here is to not cross post. Keep your questions in one forum.

Back