Is it wrong to like The Edge?

The Edge

• Under rated guitar player

Votes: 106 53.8%
  • not impressed

Votes: 91 46.2%

• Total voters
IMO, this is such a silly discussion.

There are lots of big-name guitarists that are respected in (almost) all guitar circles that use effects. For example:

Hendrix
Gilmour
Andy Summers
EVH
Pat Metheny

etc.

And there are plenty of players that use hardly any and play very simply, but with taste, such as BB King, Keith Richards, etc.

The fact is that these players convey emotion with their playing. And this is exactly what the edge does with his use of delay. Besides, there are lots of examples of Edge not using his trademark delay trick---and a lot of them are hits/favorites too ("Running to Stand Still," "Staring at the Sun," "Angel in Harlem," "Desire," "One," etc.)

He's a very competent player without the delay, he's an EXCELLENT background vocalist, and a great songwriter.

I think the only reason people are so hating is because of sour grapes basically.

famous beagle said:
IMO, this is such a silly discussion.

There are lots of big-name guitarists that are respected in (almost) all guitar circles that use effects. For example:

Hendrix
Gilmour
Andy Summers
EVH
Pat Metheny

etc.

And there are plenty of players that use hardly any and play very simply, but with taste, such as BB King, Keith Richards, etc.

The fact is that these players convey emotion with their playing. And this is exactly what the edge does with his use of delay. Besides, there are lots of examples of Edge not using his trademark delay trick---and a lot of them are hits/favorites too ("Running to Stand Still," "Staring at the Sun," "Angel in Harlem," "Desire," "One," etc.)

He's a very competent player without the delay, he's an EXCELLENT background vocalist, and a great songwriter.

I think the only reason people are so hating is because of sour grapes basically.

The thing is, people like Hendrix were innovative. The Edge -- using too much delay isn't innovative, sorry. Guys like BB King play simply and convey emotion... Edge plays simply, puts a ton of effects on, and there's no emotion there, at least not for me.

zacanger said:
The thing is, people like Hendrix were innovative. The Edge -- using too much delay isn't innovative, sorry. Guys like BB King play simply and convey emotion... Edge plays simply, puts a ton of effects on, and there's no emotion there, at least not for me.

Well ... then we're just back to a matter of opinion again. With regards to Hendrix being innovative, he had the advantage of all guitar effects being newly invented when he was at his prime. I think the Edge was certainly innovative with regards to the use of delay. He made a three-instrument band sound much bigger than anyone else had before.

And to say it's just "slapping on a bunch of delay" is simplifying it way too much. He was one of the first to use timed delays in that way, and certainly one of the first (if not the only) to carve out his own sound with it.

It is okay to like the edge if you are a white female, single(cuz you're fat), you work in a cubicle and the last record you bought before a U2 record was a Madonna vinyl.

Dumby said:
It is okay to like the edge if you are a white female, single(cuz you're fat), you work in a cubicle and the last record you bought before a U2 record was a Madonna vinyl.

Your screen name is perfectly fitting with regards to your comments.

I think that I commented on this thread like a month ago!

But, a thought just occurred to me. The board seems split down the middle on this topic. And it's a home recording forum.

So, for all the people that think that the Edge is a hack - let's hear it (most of us are guitars player around here anyway, aren't we?). Why don't people start posting samples of their playing versus the Edge?

I tried to play "In God's Country" once, I found it pretty hard.

I suggest, for those who want to prove that Edge's chops are substandard, post a cover of "Where the streets have no name" and "In God's Country."

Wouldn't that be fun? Maybe someone could start a new thread for this too.

Back