Is it worth spending money on a computer case?

randyfromde

I'm looking to build my own computer, so I am beginning to price out parts.

Does it matter what ATX case I use? www.endpcnoise.com has cases for like $150 that are supposed to be quieter, but I can get one from CompUSA for $25 and a $50 sound kit and do it myself. Is this reasonable logic, or is there something I am missing?

I should add that I am only interested in functionality, not having LED's and neon and that nonsense! It can be butt-ugly, it's going to be inside a computer desk anyway

No.

The only parts of a computer that make noise are the fans. Get quiet fans, or a fan controller that can vary the fan speed, or a enclosure to quiet the who damn thing.... just keep an eye on the temp.

I saw a setup where one crazy son of biatch bathed his whole motherboard in refrigerated mineral oil. Had the actual air conditioner outside of his house. Worked too!

You are missing something.

A cheap case make a lot of compromises to be that way. First, there are sharp edges everywhere. I've spent enough time with my hands inside cheap whiteboxes to be irritated (and cut up) by them. I also have the scars to prove it.

Secondly, a well-built case is just plain easier to work inside of. Cheap cases make it surprisingly difficult to put together a computer.

Third, are you talking about with or without a power supply? All cheap cases come with commensurately cheap power supplies. Nothing good can come of that.

Besides, a case like Antec's SLK3700AMB (around $70) or Sonata (around $105) are amazingly quiet so long as the components chosen to go inside are likewise (which is true of ANY case, no matter what kind of uber-lining they put in it).

Plus, both of those options come with good (and quiet) power supplies.

Not that these are the only possibilities, but they are my two favorite choices.

wheelema said:

The only parts of a computer that make noise are the fans.

Not true. The hard drive(s) contribute a significant vibration noise. A good case with rubber-mounted drives will reduce this noise a great deal.

I already have a Nexus Real Quiet power supply and a Zalman 80mm quiet case fan from my old computer, so neither of those are a concern.

I should've known that a cheap case would be hard to work with. I didn't think about sharp edges and the like.

Thanks guys.

My server's hard drive is soo loud compared to the fan than it I had to quiet the harddrive not the fans

fans and harddrives make noise but the rattling (resonating) case makes it even worse- i think thats what those kits (see first post) are for- to dampen resonance and vibration of the case itself. And cheap cases come with cheap power supplies (not that they cant be swapped out)

Marquis said:
You are missing something.

A cheap case make a lot of compromises to be that way. First, there are sharp edges everywhere. I've spent enough time with my hands inside cheap whiteboxes to be irritated (and cut up) by them. I also have the scars to prove it.

Secondly, a well-built case is just plain easier to work inside of. Cheap cases make it surprisingly difficult to put together a computer.

Third, are you talking about with or without a power supply? All cheap cases come with commensurately cheap power supplies. Nothing good can come of that.

Besides, a case like Antec's SLK3700AMB (around $70) or Sonata (around $105) are amazingly quiet so long as the components chosen to go inside are likewise (which is true of ANY case, no matter what kind of uber-lining they put in it).

Plus, both of those options come with good (and quiet) power supplies.

Not that these are the only possibilities, but they are my two favorite choices.
Marquis is right... forgot about the power supply, and those cheap Taiwan cases suck. I remember building PC-XTs with DOS 2.1 (yes, I am that old). Ouch!!

Back