Is it worth it to start a commercial studio?

artCROSS

Since I was a kid, I always wanted to start a studio to record people. I was just so fascinated watching all these behind the scenes clips of artists, and watching the engineer work. But nowadays, it doesn't seem like I should even try, b/c it's not profitable anymore. Not that I want to do it for the money, but I need to pay the bills.

The past few years, I've been saving up to start a studio...I had a building planned out, had my business major friend help me with a business plan, started a modest gear pile, been learning things little by little, and was just about to take a recording course when I realized how many people were signing up for it. And the more and more I read this forum, the more I realize that my dream probably won't come true.

I was hoping that home recording would follow graphic design: ya know, when macs + photoshop became widely available, EVERYONE was a graphic designer...but then after a while, it just faded. The problem is, there are still graphic design firms, but for small jobs, people usually do it themselves.

I just wanted to start a studio for the college next to me. $30-$35/hr, but equip the studio with quality gear, ya know, neumanns, great river, etc. I have the capital for it, or will soon, and was just wondering if I should still go for it. I wanted to offer these students a professional sounding album without paying so much. Do you guys think I should still go for it? Or do you think it will fail due to the boom of home recordists? (are people just gonna wanna do it themselves since they're not on a professional label). Sorry for whining, just thought I'd get your guys' opinion.

I think there will always be people who are willing to pay someone to do it for them. This shit is alot of work and most musicians are lazy bastards.

It is kind of like any other business.. Check out the competition..

Is there other studios in your area?
How are they doing?
Can you offer them something different (better)?
Can you charge a little less for it?
What is the current music scene around you area?
Any bands getting signed (pro) or just bar bands needing demos for work?

Just some questions I would wonder about..

Ive been in touch with an engineer who just shut down two studios in the city and is now working out of his house. His opinion is that the megastudios are all but gone, but the small guy can make enough to starve comfortably.

franksquid said:
DON'T quit your day job and record on the nights and weekends. See how it goes for a while.

Sound advice.
This is what I do.
I have about 40 hours per month to dedicate to the studio and recording others - it puts about $1000 to $1600 per month in my pocket, $250 of which goes to the wife/house to compensate for me kicking people out of the house when I record. So it pays for itself but I could not live on it and wouldn't even try. I like my day job.

My studio was built primarily to record my own material - I already have a decent income from recording contracts and built it myself so the risk was non-existant. I found I happen to make a little money each month for recording/outside engineering but it's certainly not enough to have made a profitable business out of.

So, I guess it depends: how much you rely purely on recording and where else you can squeeze extra profit (mastering, production, radio/TV work etc.) For example, a big local studio near me makes a lot of extra pocket money by recording features for the local radio stations who don't have very good offline facilities.

It's difficult, but possible if you have the heart and patience. Even with a well equipped studio I go to the aforementioned big studio for major vocal projects because my vocal room simply doesn't sound good enough.

artCROSS said:
Since I was a kid, I always wanted to start a studio to record people. I was just so fascinated watching all these behind the scenes clips of artists, and watching the engineer work. But nowadays, it doesn't seem like I should even try, b/c it's not profitable anymore. Not that I want to do it for the money, but I need to pay the bills.

I have always aspired to grow into a big facility like Cello and Electric Lady. Now that I see these big famous places are having a hard time, I am rethinking that plan. I'm already in business and doing well but I'm not going to open the megaplex because there isn't enough business to support it.

The trick is to find your niche.

I think you have to ask yourself is there a market for you where you want to start this business. if so is there another business with the same interested in same market as yourself. do you want to take it more serious than your oppersistion, good to see you would like neuman & great river. I heard people travel around the world to record in certain studios even to record in some accoustic rooms. Remember if one racing car driver spends $100,000 dollars more in his car he may only just be milli seconds infront.

Back