Is it worth getting a condenser mic in my case?

kratos

I Live in a small room and outside there's normally a lot of noise from cars and aeroplanes going by. I got acoustic foam to minimise external noise but only removed a little...
I use a dynamic mic currency but I'm thinking of a condenser. I don't know whether it would pic up all the noise, from outside, my pc etc. Hence is it worth it getting a condenser mic?

You absolutely will benefit from a condenser microphone, but not because it will reduce incoming sound interference. More for its clarity compared to dynamic microphones. Stopping sound is very difficult, and foam will not help. For that you need to build more massive and rigid walls.

--Ethan

..but you can knock down the relative volume of the external noises (at least the bulk of them that reside in the midrange anyway..) with absorbent material and sectioning off a small area around yourself and the mics. (Consider some overhead if you can.

The 'condenser or not question is a bit of a different can of worms.
There are some very good sounds to be had from dynamics as well as condensers. Here you really are getting into things like specific need at hand, and micing distance and how hugely that fits into how given style of mic is designed.

gee. that was fun

Back