Is it true about the Tascam bbs forum?

philboyd studge

Just got this email today:

philboyd studge,
It's been a privilege and pleasure serving you as creator and host of this forum for the past 20 months.
Unfortunately, Tascam Forums musts cease to exist as of tonight.

While I love managing the forums for the community's benefit, I can no longer do so. After more than $25,000 in one time start up development costs with labor, and approximately $2500 per month every month in time, effort and bandwidth expenses, I am being crushed.

I realize that many of the approximately 7800 members and thousands of guests depend on tascamforums.com to help make their decisions to buy Tascam gear, and also to troubleshoot gear they've already bought. For this reason, I approached the corporate higher ups at Tascam on several occasions to ask them to recognize the value of this community and provide support. They are not responding.
It's weird. I don't think they value our community like we do, and I'm shocked to say the least. I'm hoping they see the value of this soon, offer their support, and this shutdown is temporary.

Once again, I'm very sorry for this. It's painful for me too.

If you have product questions or issues, or Forum questions or issues, I recommend that you contact Tascam directly via phone or e-mail. I found these names, numbers, and e-mails posted on their site and press releases.

Rick McClendon- rmcclendon@tascam.com (I think) Tascam Division Manager 323.726.0303

Marsh Gooch - mgooch@tascam.com
Tascam Marketing Director 323.726.0303

Customer Service - custser@teac.com
Operational Support - 323.727.7617 (m-f 8-5 Pacific)

If you have an opinion on the Forums closing, please share it with them. You may also send me an e-mail at signscape@comcast.net. I'm happy to hear your thoughts.

Sincerely,

Bruce in Denver
(drwho)

damn? that's it? Tascam didn't come in.

i can relate the economy's crushing everyone...well, not everyone.
the Oil and Energy guys are posting record breaking profits.

maybe if Capitol Hill gets their new plans passed, cancelling out the home owner interest tax write off's and puts more regulations on home businesses (minimum income required to justify it isn't a hobby...$10-20,000 annual is siggested..)...

maybe then things will turn around?

At a minimum I think it sucks that Tascam does not offer a forum on their own website. That is so basic in the business world today. For a tech company like Tascam not to offer it is really bush league. That being said, as long as they keep coming up with machines like the 2488, there will be buyers. Yes it could be improved but for the price it can't be beat. I will miss the forum, I always felt I had a group of experts to call on when in need.. It's a shame.

It certainly came as a shock to me. It was a shame when TASCAM took down their original forum -- it's no surprise that they didn't want to support an independent group.

Oh well, I can wish only the best to Bruce (drwho), the other mods, and the rest of the community. I'm sure our paths will still cross from time to time...

-Kent

i can't believe he would stoop so low as to do something like this, but Bush did it. that bastard.

They are a short-sighted, badly run company when it comes to customer service. Taking down their own forum, not making 788 back up files compatible with the 2488, not helping a website that had their name all over it, promoted their products and offered way better customer service than they themselves could provide. Arseholes.

I will never buy another TAASCAM product, ever. I will gladly spend a few hundred more bucks on another company's product next time I upgrade. Even the way they skimped on some 2488 features is an insult to their loyal customers. They thought nobody would notice that the JOG/SCROLL function isn't even a shadow of the 788's. The TG/DRUM MACHINE is the biggest joke in the world...The drum machine doesn't even stay in time with the tracks. I say fuck them.

TeyshaBlue said:
Yeah...it's done. Sad, sad thing IMHO.
I'll miss the place. :(
I'll miss it too. :o

I had no idea it cost so much to keep the place up and running? :confused:

This place seems to keep going with little to no donations from the membership and only has minimal banner ads and tascamforums also ran ads and a fairly active and healthy list of contributing members.

I suspect there's more to this then just the story offered. :rolleyes:

Oh well. 1800 posts from me and thousands of others from members who wanted to make that place something special, all down the fucking toilet.

Cheers! :)

The Ghost of FM said:
I'll miss it too. :o

I had no idea it cost so much to keep the place up and running? :confused:

This place seems to keep going with little to no donations from the membership and only has minimal banner ads and tascamforums also ran ads and a fairly active and healthy list of contributing members.

I suspect there's more to this then just the story offered. :rolleyes:

Oh well. 1800 posts from me and thousands of others from members who wanted to make that place something special, all down the fucking toilet.

Cheers! :)

I wonder too, Ghost.....and I never did get a TF Coffee Mug. :(
I also figure you've got a wee bit of insight as to the fate of the good ship Titanic Forums. ;)
1800 posts? You piker...I finally passed you. :(

Sad Sad Sad Day

I agree, I’m really going miss the Tascam Forum. The forum was a great place to exchange ideas and information on Tascam products, especially new products like the 2488. If it were not for that forum I do not think the majority of new users (e.g. 2488) would ever get through the manual, if you want to call it a manual. Because of this decision they (Tascam) will lose future customers that will just get fed-up and give-up only to try another product. The Tascam Company has lost my business, forever. I now will be selling my 2488, CD-A700 and have just cancelled my order for the DV-RA1000.
People do not buy any Tascam product, if you do you are on your own. Tascam will certainly not help you, I know I tried.
Bruce (Dr. Who) If you are out there, Good Luck and All The Best Buddy. Through your forum you helped more people than Tascam ever will.

Last edited:
I just sent Bruce (drwho) a reply email asking if he could archive a static copy of the forum.

I also recommended that he might want to check out one of the low-cost forum hosting services such as Proboards - our local motorcycling club uses Proboards as a forum host and it's very inexpensive.

And Double, if you're reading this: Your user-friendly addendum to the 2488 user's manual kicks ass. Thanks.

Zaphod B said:
I just sent Bruce (drwho) a reply email asking if he could archive a static copy of the forum.

I also recommended that he might want to check out one of the low-cost forum hosting services such as Proboards - our local motorcycling club uses Proboards as a forum host and it's very inexpensive.

And Double, if you're reading this: Your user-friendly addendum to the 2488 user's manual kicks ass. Thanks.

Godd ideas. If nothing else, a static location for FAQ's and understandable instructions.

RAMI said:
They are a short-sighted, badly run company when it comes to customer service. Taking down their own forum, not making 788 back up files compatible with the 2488, not helping a website that had their name all over it, promoted their products and offered way better customer service than they themselves could provide. Arseholes.

I will never buy another TAASCAM product, ever. I will gladly spend a few hundred more bucks on another company's product next time I upgrade. Even the way they skimped on some 2488 features is an insult to their loyal customers. They thought nobody would notice that the JOG/SCROLL function isn't even a shadow of the 788's. The TG/DRUM MACHINE is the biggest joke in the world...The drum machine doesn't even stay in time with the tracks. I say fuck them.

Jeez, Rami! I wish you wouldn't sugar-coat things... Just call it like you see it! :rolleyes:

I think TASCAM has lost some key personnel over the years that maintained focus for some (if not all) of their product lines. I think the 2488 has the potential for being a stellar machine. But I have to admit that in its current state after a couple years on the market, it meets my needs but not my expectations.

-Kent

This SUX!! This is the second forum I go to that has been shut down. I have been a member of Drum Center of Indianapolis since 98 & Harry just shut down that forum. we were lucky that a couple of members basicly moved the forum to drumforum.org . Pretty much everyone went over to the new place & things are about like they were before. If you like to talk drums, especially custom & vintage drums, it is a great forum.
I really like this forum & also tapeop.com. You can get a free subscription to their magazine there & they are a nice bunch also.
Dave Huffman

I believe this may be a power play on Dr. Who's part to get Tascam to pony up some bucks....but I believe he may be falling prey to a false assumption....namely, that anyone in Tascam management gives a damn about TF.com or sees any value whatsoever in a technical forum. :mad:

I've been using Teac and Tascam gear since the early '70's, from the first 4 track reel to reels (3340's?) to one of the first albums done on a 80-8 (the third one imported to the US), and bought one of the first 144's for home use. It ain't the same company that's for sure. I remember the 80-8 having problems, especially the transport slowing down, and engineers coming out that day to work on it.

Back