Is it safe.....

No harm to the amp, could harm the pedal depending on the level your fx loop runs.......but most pedals can take some abuse.

But it most definitely will harm the sound! I would think you would not be able to use very much compression at all before the tone would be seriously squashed!

Why are you wanting to do this? Experiment for 10 minutes and see what it does.....

No harm to the amp, could harm the pedal depending on the level your fx loop runs.......but most pedals can take some abuse.

But it most definitely will harm the sound! I would think you would not be able to use very much compression at all before the tone would be seriously squashed!

Why are you wanting to do this? Experiment for 10 minutes and see what it does.....

I enjoy the sound of compression! I set it to where it just barely tightens up the sound. It's very noticeable through the loop. Maybe too noticeable. Just experimenting.

Compressors belong in the front of the signal chain and should go to the input of the amp - not the loop....

Compressors belong in the front of the signal chain and should go to the input of the amp - not the loop....

The question was, does it harm the amp? The sound is up to the individual. Sometime i will put a distortion in front of the wha and then a compressor. Now that's a freaky sound that i love. I know a delay in the loop is fine but i just wasn't sure about other things.

The compressor pedal is made to tame the spikes in your guitar signal, not made for your amps preamp signal. You really are negating a lot of the amps value by compressing in the loop. Try compressing up front and using a clean boost in the loop instead.

The compressor pedal is made to tame the spikes in your guitar signal, not made for your amps preamp signal. You really are negating a lot of the amps value by compressing in the loop. Try compressing up front and using a clean boost in the loop instead.

Yes, it was just an experiment. The compressor works too good in the loop. You can really hear what the attack control is doing. If i really need a super sqooshed sound i now know how i can get it. The usual setting for my comp is set to where it just tightens up the sound. Or at low volumes it's nice to set for some sustain.

Using a compressor pedal in an effects loop sounds like:
elephantdungpaper1.jpg

Back