Is it safe to upgade to WIN11? Music software-wise

LazerBeakShiek

Rad Racing Team
Is it safe to install WIN 11? Should I want to install it? Win 7 EZ Drummer and others didn't work after upgrading to 10..Will you be upgrading to 11?

Last edited:
From what I have read, the fundamental programming change from Win7 to WIn10 was much bigger. It had to do with removing a lot of legacy programming which made it more difficult to secure the system (and broke a lot of programming). Win11 is more of an update of Win10, with the addition of TMP2.0 being required for security, some differences in the user interface (which can be disabled to be like Win10) and tighter integration with the MS Teams collaborative software, which I have no use for. They are also adding Android support, which I really don't need either.

I have two friends who have upgraded to WIn11. Neither has mentioned it being an issue with programs, but neither has really talked about any performance boosts or performance issues.

I have no plans to upgrade to 11 anytime soon. Three of my 4 computers don't have TMP2.0 anyway.

I've been on Win 11 since the first beta months ago.
Reaper and Samplitude seem fine as does everything else.
I'm on a Surface Pro 6.

OH OH.
It did not go well.

It's a great computer, the fastest one I have and it processes quickly and rarely hangs. However - the processor an i7 2600 3.4GHz is not on the approved list, and it does not have TPM. I know nothing about TPM or secure boot, so for the moment, it stays on 10! I'm by no means a computer wizz - I'm just a user, but I guess TPM could simply be disabled in the BIOS, or the motherboard doesn't support it. I don't even know what secure boot is ....... yet.

So - looks like it is NOT a simple small update, but Windows needs things people may not have. This is a pain.

Attachments

• windows 11 upgrade2.jpg
    windows 11 upgrade2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 2
Me Too. TPM, and all it needs is the option to be enabled. Where is it? There is an option to use a software TPM? The board is a Gigabyte , but I couldn't find it in the C Mos. Not sure what I'm doing, really. Not sure how much time I want to spend on this.

Windows 10 Home probably won't have a TPM. Windows 10 Pro may have one which may or may not be activated. I'm using Win 10 Home and it has no TPM.

Look in Device Manager and scroll down. I believe that if you see Security Devices and double-click, it will show the TPM if it's there. If there is no Security Devices, there is no TPM installed.

I believe that's the case, anyway.

You may also type Windows Key + R then type tpm.msc [return]

This will say a TPM cannot be found, or it will show info if one is found.

Last edited:
I have Windows 10 Home on this laptop and it has TPM 2.0. I just checked using Spantini's directions. I should add that my laptop is not even a year old yet, if that makes a difference. Anyway, I have the TPM

If you have bit encryption does that mean the motherboard has TPM active even if WIN10 check doesn't see it?

Screenshot 2021-10-16 125124.jpg

My computer has bitlocker encryption enabled. So I am thinking there is hope for this one.

You can dig a bit deeper to see if you have a TPM and whether it's activated or not. This goes into the BIOS, so be carefull mucking about in there.

See Method 4 here : Looking For TPM

I thought I'd risk trying the other two computers I use to make a living. The first is the machine I used to edit video on but I could not get a better video card working properly on it, and the processor struggled rendering 4K quickly - it's actually a faster processor than the one I use for video, but the card makes a difference.

Then I thought blow it - I'd try the app and see if my main cubase computer was OK. So that is three computers, all working really well and stable.

Not one passed - forget the TPM thing, NONE of my processor are approved? What is going on? Microsoft have a new OS that won't work with my computers and when I chose them, there was no big warning saying Danger - dodgy unsupported processor! Why are these intel chips not on? They're not old and they're not cheap - so what gives?

EDIT - I just discovered that two of these computers are less than 2 years old - I bought motherboard bundles and these intel chips are years behind! One is pre 2000! the others 2013+ I looked at them on the comparison sites and they got good scores - I'm thinking I really bought very old, new stock and this is biting me!

Attachments

• second editor.png
    second editor.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 3
  • cubase comp.png
    cubase comp.png
    22 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I thought I'd risk trying the other two computers I use to make a living. The first is the machine I used to edit video on but I could not get a better video card working properly on it, and the processor struggled rendering 4K quickly - it's actually a faster processor than the one I use for video, but the card makes a difference.

Then I thought blow it - I'd try the app and see if my main cubase computer was OK. So that is three computers, all working really well and stable.

Not one passed - forget the TPM thing, NONE of my processor are approved? What is going on? Microsoft have a new OS that won't work with my computers and when I chose them, there was no big warning saying Danger - dodgy unsupported processor! Why are these intel chips not on? They're not old and they're not cheap - so what gives?

EDIT - I just discovered that two of these computers are less than 2 years old - I bought motherboard bundles and these intel chips are years behind! One is pre 2000! the others 2013+ I looked at them on the comparison sites and they got good scores - I'm thinking I really bought very old, new stock and this is biting me!
I hear ya. I've got no TPM and an unsupported processor (i3-4130), which rocks but is too low on the generation listing. Bought my PC new about 5 years ago.

Here's a listing of Win 11 compatible Intel chips : Supported Intel Processors

Here's the whole enchilada DOWNLOAD: Minimum Hardware Requirements

So far i got , the CPU is security option enabled from AMD. Then The Motherboard supports the 19 pin TPM header. From Gigabyte this motherboard only supports tpm 1.2. Not 2.0.

So 1.2 is not enough?

I am told to use an external TPM module. That appears to be a software thing.

I have read that there are workarounds so that TPM1.2 computers can run WIn11. Check on Toms Hardware, they had the information on there.

Time to start tucking money away now. Windows 11 might be an option for a while but the time before our favourite DAWs start implementing Windows 11 only computers will be shorter. I reckon looking at Adobe and Strindberg, based on previous OS changes that we have two years before we cannot upgrade, and maybe then 18 months before we either cease support, or with Adobe, simply lose access. It’s annoying too because few benefits of 11 are front end. It seems it’s support for processors, although AMD people seem disadvantaged over Intel, and security rather than user experience benefits. Like getting excited over new catalytic converters designs in cars and teeny emission reductions. Important for some, but they don’t improve the handling!

Back