is it possible to transfer my files from my old hard drive to my new hard drive?

manmustwack

i realized after buying cubase 5 (and later the update for cubase 6) that i could not install cubase into my old P C because it did not have enough gigabytes. I was advised to buy a new P C which i did online this morning. I was told by the technical staff online that i would have to send them my cubase and dongle plus the discs and license codes for all the other music software in my old P C if i want them to reinstall them in my new P C which is not a problem. What is a problem is that i was using the old cubase SX 2 and it was a cracked version (which i know they will never reinstall). I have to many project files on that hard drive and don't want the work go to waste. So my question is ''is it possible to transfer my files from my old hard drive to my new hard drive?''

Last edited:
I don't know about SX2 but SX3+ have feature called Save to folder.../Backup project... that saves all files used in project to one folder (doesn't include plugins!). So backup all your projects, copy them to flash memory or external hard drive and then copy to your new computer.
Or what the hell... just put the old hard drive to your new computer.

You could also 'mirror' the old drive to a partition on your new comp. I use Acronis for this. It was $60 I think. I'm not sure how you would connect the two computers tho. I use an external firewire drive.

Btw, congrats on 'purchasing' your software. Some may tell you you don't have a right to use your old files anyway. :/

hi, is your new pc a tower or a laptop, i fit is a tower, as seidy says, just stick the hard drive in the new tower as a slave drive oron the secondary ide chanel, maybe a friend with more computer knowhow will help you do this, its rather easy and will only take 2 minutes to do. As for sending them your software and dongle and license codes, that sounds really fishy, just tell them you will install the software yourself, they want to copy your programs and use your license codes.

@Seidy
Thanks that what i said to the technical support guy on the phone yesterday whether i can put my old hard drive in my new P C but he said it wasn't possible that i'd need to get all the license codes and discs and transfer everything into my new P C making my old cracked cubase SX 2 useless.

@Scotti
Thats what am going to do get someone to put my old hard drive into my new {tower} P C and buy a flashdrive or external hard drive as backup. Will all my music software installed into my old hard drive work well with my music files and software installed into my new hard drive?

Another thing which i don't understand which is related to this topis is that i need to buy a soundcard. I was thinking of buying the focus saffire which is around £150 but don't really understand why i need it. My old soundcard was built into my old P C. And i've been told with the new soundcard i would no longer need a mixer. Is that true? And if YES! can somebody please explain why?

Your programs will need to be re-installed, you can still use the old project files, but you will have to tell the newly installed software where to find all the audio files. As for sound cards, the built in sound card on a pc is the lowest of low quality, and very inflexible. The focus saffire does'nt need a mixer, but if you want to record a jam session where you need more than 2 microphones, hook up a mixer, you will still only record two tracks but you can have your whole band mic'd up. the focus saffire will be the new sound card. Have a look at the Zoom r16, might be an alternative.

@scotti
I just reviewed the R16 I like it but I don't intend to record live bands or use more than two microphones at a time because I will only be recording virtual instruments so I think the focus saffire will be good enough for me. One final question scotti is that am thinking of buying a sampler because I would like to record drum beats while playing them on different keys. I know cubase has a vocoder and can do it via the microphone using audio but don't know wether it can be done using MIDI. So I would like to know whether there is a good software or hardware samplerr that I could buy or download for free from the internet

Back