Is it possible to produce just a few vinyl's albums for promotion?

Jhae

Is it possible to produce just a few vinyl albums for promotion?

We've tried to get our records played in a few clubs here and there, but the majority of the time; the DJ's need a vinyl album. They're more than willing to play it, but they say they need the material on wax... Now I've searched these forums for resources on getting my music transferred from a Compact Disc to a Vinyl Album, but they always want to do it in bulk, with bulk prices. My question is if it's feasible to get a handful of vinyl albums produced (4 or 5) just for club play? Or do all vinyl producers want bulk prices? Has anyone had any hands-on-experience with this or have any resources they are willing to share? Please help me! Costs just won't allow us to shell out $700 bucks for vinyl records...

Last edited:
Yes there are a few places around that do small runs (of 50 or more) on Vinal... problem is it's real expensive for the first run:

You see Vinal is pressed, and making the press plates is an expensive procedure... but once you own the plates, you keep them and bring them to any place that still presses vinal (there's loads of them out there) and have them run as many as you want...

- Tanlith -

If you search, you can probably find some shops with the Vestax record cutter in-house. They'll do you up as few copies as you need, and it won't break your bank, though it will be more expensive than a new CD...

good luck.

dj flo' dolo

Oh yeah! I completely forgot about the Vestax...

... yeah... do what he said... and pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

- Tanlith -

Vestax you say huh? Hmm, I'll definitely have to check that one out! Hopefully I can find someone with one...

Do any of you guys have access to one, where I could pay you to cut a few records? This won't be until about a month or two from now, but I just want to be ready. Getting a real run of albums would be a waste of time and money since we're just releasing a mixtape, yet would like some club play.

I didn't say to buy the Vestax, just that some shops have 'em & cut wax for people.

As for the life of the Vestax pressings, mine have seen well over 30 plays, not to mention all the backcueing - as 2 of them are battle wax - with no sign of wear so far. They don't play like the traditional acetates that die after about 30 or so touches. Well, at least mine haven't.

According to Vestax (for what it's worth):
The most stunning feature of the VRX-2000 is the durability of the records. Unlike traditional acetates that have a very limited lifespan, the "blanks" used with the machine will last 90% of the time as standard vinyl.

This is due to the fact that the VRX-2000 utilises a new plastic for the blanks called "Harmodisk", which offers excellent reproduction quality and durability previously unheard of. Blanks are available through Vestax VRX-2000 dealers, for around the price of an import 12" single.

Maybe mine'll be sounding burnt as hell pretty soon, but if the current quality of mine is any indicator of the amount of abuse they'll take, for me at least, they're worth the price.

If you can't find any info about any shops that'll do the work - and you're still interested - just ask.

fd

Flo' Dolo said:
I didn't say to buy the Vestax, just that some shops have 'em & cut wax for people.

As for the life of the Vestax pressings, mine have seen well over 30 plays, not to mention all the backcueing - as 2 of them are battle wax - with no sign of wear so far. They don't play like the traditional acetates that die after about 30 or so touches. Well, at least mine haven't.

According to Vestax (for what it's worth):

Maybe mine'll be sounding burnt as hell pretty soon, but if the current quality of mine is any indicator of the amount of abuse they'll take, for me at least, they're worth the price.

If you can't find any info about any shops that'll do the work - and you're still interested - just ask.

fd

Hey man, good looking out. I'm SURE that I'll probably need someone like yourself to help me out and get me a few pieces of wax for club play. I'd reimburse you for your troubles no doubt. I've called a lot of places around here, and most have heard of Vestax, but they act like I'm speaking in a foreign language when I mention doing vinyl pressings. I'll probably be looking to do this within the next month or so, and I'm extremely serious, not bullsh*tting. If you have some contact info, could you PM it to me please? Thanks!

Back