is it my equipment i just want to give up??? =[

fivestarpacheco

hey guys i havent been on the forum in a couple months but i managed to do another song and im so dissapointed. i posted a forum on my other song about how the quality just wasnt right. well on my second song its the same exact problem. i play it on my DAW (sonar 8 producer) and it sounds great awesome quality everything but once i convert it, and then play it on my computer it sounds ok im guessing its my monitors is the reason why it sounds decent (Dynaudio BM6A MKII Active Nearfield Monitor). Once i play it in the car it sounds like crap. i have asked so many questions on what could be wrong and have done everythign i could. i messed with the eq and spent hours going back and forth from computer to car, i made sure everything was studio not mono, i converted it to 16 bit. now i dont think its my settings in my DAW because i looked up on youtube how to do the correct settings. i have a motu 828 mk2 and a VTB1 preamp Phantom power on! i really dont think my mixing is the problem. What does it sound like to you? Can it be my computer? here are both songs i have made check out both links and tell me what you think?? the second sounds a little better but even when that ones in the car it doesnt sound like a normal song would
thanks guyssss!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD_afrU_FVk

http://hulkshare.com/yu1tlp0z20vz

Hmmm...well, you might find this strange, but I thought they both sounded good. Vocals might be a little too loud, but everything else was all right. I was just listening to it on my pair of computer speakers. Idk what to tell you. Try playing it on other stuff than just your car, like headphones or stereo and see if you still don't like it.

Also what size room do you do your mixing in? Do you have any treatment? Maybe it's giving you a false impression of what you think it sounds like. But like I said earlier, sounded pretty good to me!

really? i dont think they sound good at all the second link was my first time ever mixing, and thats why i feel it doesnt sound right , but maybe im expecting too much?? i have people that live in my city that do alot of homerecording i would like to ask them for help, but they are not trying to do that for me.im trying to go for this guys kind of quality, and i feel my music is no where near it. what is required to get a sound like his?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GovrtDSzPas

and..
as for my studio i have about 12 bass traps owens corning oc 703 covered mostly all corners i actually found a pic of my current studio here it is.
2wda8wk.jpg

i also have what you cant see in the pic is 2 gobos which are placed behind the mic

When you say you converted it, what's the format of the product that doesn't sound good? If it's an MP3 and the mix sounded good, you may have set the bitrate too low during conversion (e.g., 128kbps vs. 320kbps).

i posted a forum on my other song

That's your problem...you need to post the song on the forum...not the other way around. ;)

i messed with the eq and spent hours going back and forth from computer to car.

BAD MOVE!
I know everyone likes to *check* their mix in the car...but you basically ended up "chasing the mix" by going back-n-forth. Heck, you might as well move all your gear out to the car and just mix there instead of on your decent studio monitors. :rolleyes:

I listened to the clip...the only thing I would do is work on the low-end...there just ain't much there for that style of music. If you get that right, the other elements will fall into place as they are.
I'm not into that style, but I know that Rap/Hip-Hop lives off the beat and the beat lives off the thump in the low end.

When you say you converted it, what's the format of the product that doesn't sound good? If it's an MP3 and the mix sounded good, you may have set the bitrate too low during conversion (e.g., 128kbps vs. 320kbps).
i am not home today, but i will def check that out tommorow

That's your problem...you need to post the song on the forum...not the other way around. ;)

BAD MOVE!
I know everyone likes to *check* their mix in the car...but you basically ended up "chasing the mix" by going back-n-forth. Heck, you might as well move all your gear out to the car and just mix there instead of on your decent studio monitors. :rolleyes:

I listened to the clip...the only thing I would do is work on the low-end...there just ain't much there for that style of music. If you get that right, the other elements will fall into place as they are.
I'm not into that style, but I know that Rap/Hip-Hop lives off the beat and the beat lives off the thump in the low end.
lol wow typo.
hmm so what do you mean by working on the low end?
did you listen to the youtube video link i put titled "gotme feelin" im interested in getting that studio quality.

I listened to your mix and the YouTube video you would like to sound like and I agree it needs more bottom end. Your kick drum is not as loud as theirs and the bass is, well less bassy. I notice the MP3 you posted is only 2.1mb and it's over 2 minutes long so you must be using a pretty low quality bit rate to get it that small, and low bit rates do take out some bottom end (from what I remember) but I'd say you still need to mix the kick louder, try using 2 kicks layered, 1 with a sub bass 50hz feel and 1 with alot of punch in the 100-200hz area for a full sound.

I dont think your mixes are bad however they have no dimension and it seems like a lot of things are fighting for the same frequencies in the mix.

I wonder how hard it is to mix hip hop...I never treid mixing it before however I wouldnt mind giving it a try.

------------

I've found that when I run some media players, they lock my sound card to a lower bitrate. The only way I can reset the bitrate in my DAW or the sound card control panel is to reboot the computer. Maybe that's what happened here.

I don't mean to be an asshole but all the examples shown here have TOO MUCH autotune and not enough real singing. Other then that your quality isn't that much different from the other guys youtube you posted.

hey guys i havent been on the forum in a couple months but i managed to do another song and im so dissapointed. i posted a forum on my other song about how the quality just wasnt right. well on my second song its the same exact problem. i play it on my DAW (sonar 8 producer) and it sounds great awesome quality everything but once i convert it, and then play it on my computer it sounds ok im guessing its my monitors is the reason why it sounds decent (Dynaudio BM6A MKII Active Nearfield Monitor). Once i play it in the car it sounds like crap. i have asked so many questions on what could be wrong and have done everythign i could. i messed with the eq and spent hours going back and forth from computer to car, i made sure everything was studio not mono, i converted it to 16 bit. now i dont think its my settings in my DAW because i looked up on youtube how to do the correct settings. i have a motu 828 mk2 and a VTB1 preamp Phantom power on! i really dont think my mixing is the problem. What does it sound like to you? Can it be my computer? here are both songs i have made check out both links and tell me what you think?? the second sounds a little better but even when that ones in the car it doesnt sound like a normal song would
thanks guyssss!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD_afrU_FVk

http://hulkshare.com/yu1tlp0z20vz

Just a thought here ................... what bit depth are you recording at? are you using one of the "pwr-r" dither settings? If you are, turn it back to "triangular" and see how that comes out for you.

And by the way ...... the tunes sounded pretty cool .......... Not my cup of tea mind you, but not too shabby for you youngsters. :rolleyes:

really? i dont think they sound good at all the second link was my first time ever mixing, and thats why i feel it doesnt sound right , but maybe im expecting too much??

You cannot say you feel like giving up. It's only been a few times that you've mixed music ... you haven't even gotten started. Maybe recording music is or isn't right for you but give it a chance.

Yes, you are expecting too much. Getting professional results requires a great signal chain. a great engineer recording a great performance with great gear etc... Of course there are exceptions to the rule but all I'm trying to say is ... don't expect your home recordings to come out like the ones you hear on the hits. You can and will get better if you learn more and keep doing it. Just don't expect anything great overnight.

I don't like this kind of music but that sounded perfectly fine to me. It seemed to lack a little low end on my system.

Also, I play mostly acoustic music, but I've always gotten really good quality recordings on the cheapest of gear (mostly M-Audio and cheap microphones) and recording in an untreated bedroom. Don't blame the gear, just work on getting good sounds from the start.

Anyway, a little more low-end and the mix would sound perfect for me.

The only thing wrong with those mixes is that it's not enough auto-tune. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:D:D:D

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more auto-tune. :laughings:

low end

i think your mix needs a small amount of reverb on the vocal just to give it some space around it. it sounds a little dry and in your face. theres not enought eq separation on the parts so they're all compeeting for the same space and defo needs more low end

follow the link to see what i mean this is the first of a wide range on the same subject same guy take a look and see if you agree when youve seen them all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCi6cLmgiNQ

Back