Is it LINE-OUT or not? NEED TO KNOW FAST!!

JLLFAN

Can anybody tell me whether or not the "Out to Tape" on the back of my receiver is at line level? Thanks.

This radio station in Chicago is broadcasting the Metallica concert live, unedited, uncut (so they say) and I would love to get it on CD. I get to see them tomorrow night.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I needed the affirmation cause I've already fried one sound card (SB Live Value). ANd don't want to do that again :0

Thanks again.

...so, just make sure you plug the tape out into the line in on your new sound card, not the mic in!!!

I don't know how many times people have told me..."I didn't even know there was a line in!"

I definitely know about the line-in.

But another question:

A 3 hour concert is going to be like 1 gig. Is that going to throw my AMD K6-2-400, 7 gig empty HD, 128 MB RAM, SB Live Value sound card, Win 98, Sound Forge XP system into convulsions? How about when it comes time to parse into separate wav files for the burning? (I threw in all the details cause I've seen so many posts asking for follow-up info on details).

Any ideas? SOftware I could download quickly and get installed easily that will record in MP3 format?

Thanks

Yikes. This will depend greatly on the software you use, but should work.

No commercials or anything huh? That sucks. I certianly wouldn't hit record and walk away. If you're quick you could hit stop and start a new wave after getting a couple full songs. Of course you might miss some talking and the crowd noise a bit....but you'll have to edit out individual songs before you burn a CD anyway (assuming that's what you'll do).

Basically your system SHOULD be able to do this, but whether it will or not is iffy. If you have a crash in the middle you're looking at losing a lot of the show.

I know that musicmatch jukebox will allow you to record mp3 in real time, but it's not the easiest to use. Look at www.mp3.com

Slackmaster 2000

180 minutes in CD quality .wav format is just under 2GB. Shouldn't be a problem, but then you're using Windows. Good Luck. May the Schwartz be with you. I think you'll be just about at break-even point in CPU power required to hold this together in .wav or .mp3 format with the inherent trade-off intact. The .mp3 save requires the extra compression step.

For whatever reason, it stopped recording after it hit 2 gigs. (The concert actually went for 4 hours). And the beginning portion got garbled up (that was Kid Rock). But it sounds like stuff just got inserted in weird places, and with some careful cutting, I should be able to put together a pretty cool cd set.

Thanks everybody!

as for the begining... i have no clue.... BUT.... the reason why it quit at 2 gig is a program bug. have u ever noticed how some progrms report ur Hd as being exatly 2 gigs free? when i discovered that i triped cuase my HD is 37 gig. THe reason: in the deep dark bowels of the source code, before a program is compiled the programer is hard at work setting the variable tables to how they work. to save space, (in basic at least) a vaiable can have many maximums.... 0-255 all the way to 0-16,777....... well u get the idea... this is how many kB or whatever it registers when it goes though the math machine that says "at **khz **bits stereo u can record up to **mins of sound", so when a file hits this register it kills. some dont' have this bugg though. the one i know of that dosen't is soundforge4.0 XP

Jay

[This message has been edited by jay_skorpyo (edited 01-12-2000).]

That stuff that I said got garbled didn't really. Now that I've listened to it, I can hear that the radio station edited Kid Rock a lot by cutting stuff and smooshing it together. So rather than having gaps, it sounds all jolted. THey edited Metallica from time to time by playing the intro of the album version of Enter Sandman over James' talking between sets.

Now, as far as mixing this is concerned:

It sounds a little crackly on the drums/bass. The level never went above 0.0, and there was no radio static (I've got the antenna hooked to the water pipes) Do you think EQ should be able to take care of this?

[This message has been edited by JLLFAN (edited 01-12-2000).]

Back