Is it cheating?

sirslurpee

What does THIS button do?
For me to be writing songs with EZDrummer and recording the rest of the tracks over that, even though I am a drummer and I have all the nessicary equipment to record? I prefer to use EZDrummer because it sounds a whole lot better and besides I can write out any fill/variation and even grace notes in EZD that I would normally play on the drums...
What do you guys think?

no its not cheating imo.... its all about the music and if u feel it sounds better using EZD then use it lol......

I love EZ-Drummer..it sounds great, and works. I just bought some acoustic drums yesterday, and have never played them before in my life. I will probably die before I can play well enough to record a song on them.

It's whatever works for you....

I don't think it's cheating. Programming parts or using loops is a reality of modern music. I have as much respect for a well thought out creatively looped/programmed arrangement as I do for a well performed track.

I'm a drummer and I also on occasion use things like EZDrummer or BFD. I never try to take credit for something I did not actually perform - in fact, I often take as much pride in a track I programmed as in a track I performed.

I don't have the right type of room to track acoustic drums - most home recording spaces don't (even though I have a couple of great kits). I do have a set of Roland TD10 which I normally use to track a MIDI performance and then trigger whatever sound I need.

However some songs sound fine with a programmed groove - and it can often be faster and easier than trying to ace an actual performance.

The ends justifies the means.

No its not cheating the band Sameal uses a drum machine and their signed to a major label. But what your using sounds real great I might look into it.

wow ezdrummer does sound pretty good. are all those tracks with ez drummer they sound like it. the beats a little repetitive. But it fits well in the mix nicely.

sirslurpee said:
For me to be writing songs with EZDrummer and recording the rest of the tracks over that, even though I am a drummer and I have all the nessicary equipment to record? I prefer to use EZDrummer because it sounds a whole lot better and besides I can write out any fill/variation and even grace notes in EZD that I would normally play on the drums...
What do you guys think?
How do you do that?
I was doing maybe just the same thing using drum machine, Cubase and Battery.
I guess you are using samples but how do you make the rhythm track.
Are you writing whole midi file or just combine some presets and fill ins?

I haven't used those tracks on my songs yet so I don't refer this to My music on soundclick. Those songs were mixed before I started to work with midis.
On some of them are real drums.

I'd say you're okay... I've played drums longer than any other instrument, and I own a drumset, but I live in an apartment so I never have the option to play or record it. So, I am stuck using software-created drum tracks for the basis of most of the music I record.

I occassionally rent out a small chapel in my area and go there with my full setup to record acoustic drum tracks, and then kick out the generated ones, but that doesn't happen all that often since it takes so much effort... its worth it in the end, but yeah - if the generated tracks sound good, i stick with those.

Thanks guys.. honestly, I am still getting used to the whole recording thing. There is still sooooo much I haven't learned yet.. And honestly, even though I have the space, I can't seem to track my drums right. Be it the room, tuning, or mics (maybe placement) I just don't have it down right yet. And pretty much I am doing this project with a drummer although he hasn't given me any input on what I write so far... I figure I will let him play with the stuff himself and if he comes up with anything different I can just go back into cubase and add in anything different into the midi that is already there and I won't have to re-track or remix or anything..

sikter- yes I am writing out the whole midi track.

Also I recently found out that I can trigger EZD with my v-drums so I might be trying that for stuff soon, but we'll see.

I don't see any cheating about it at all. You are creating something, and any tool at your disposal is fair game in my view.. so long as it is your own work - which it is.

i would not say it's cheating. does using a computer program playing music for you make better art? well, who goes to an art gallery to look at a picture printed from a computer made up of clip art?

TelePaul said:
Of course it's not cheating. Do you think Bach could play every instrument he wrote music for? No.

On the other hand, he didn't get a machine to play the ones he couldn't; he used a real person.

But it's not cheating, don't worry. It sounds pretty good too, with the right software.

(TelePaul is quite the master at this, by the way)

I think Sirlurpee is concerned about getting a machine to play the instruments that he CAN play :)

I think it's fine. Drummers don't count anyway .. well, they do count .. that's arguably all they do .. but they need to be told what to do (much like a machine).

.... err.. OK, time to stop digging. I'm not sure I can get out of this hole already...

:eek:

No - It's not cheating

For example, as a songwriter not a musician, I struggled for years having other people play the music, and it never came out right. Finally after years of technological advances...and endless paycheques wasted on would've been, should've been amazing software and hardware tools...I finally have the tools now to give my songs the life I intended...

I think the focus needs to be on the idea, not the actual musical talent behind the idea. Sure it would be nice if everyone was blessed with both perfect pitch, and the ability to wail...but for those of us who have the ideas...and marginal talent on the instruments themselves...I think the tools, whether it be Virtual Guitarist, EZ Drummer or whatever, are there for a reason.

Check out my tunes...most are done using Virtual Guitarist, and various other tools...
http://www.betarecords.com/openframeset.php?content=/strategically.placed

Tell me if it takes away from the song or not...I personally don't think so....

Back