Is it better to record via MIDI?

El Barto

I'm clueless when it comes to MIDI. I'm planning on getting a Firepod to record to, and up until now, I've been recording my keyboard (Yamaha PSR-280, nothing fancy) via headphone out (1/4") to line input. The keyboard has a MIDI in/out and so does the Firepod. What do I gain/lose by going to MIDI? Do I just need a single cable going from keyboard out to Firepod in? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

well the minute you plug in your Yamaha thru midi to a firepod (or any interface) it becomes simply a midi controller. So basically all your built-in sounds will be useless. the only info that will be transmitted through midi are things like what key you are pressing and the velocity of it. But you can use soft synths to play any sound, and also do things like quantize to align your notes perfectly in time after or during you record.

lets just put it this way, you can do lots of things with midi, but you cant use your sounds in your keyboard.

So basically, the software I record into would have to have the different instrument sounds for the keyboards? And, chances are, depending on the software, I might actually get a better sound out of it than the actual keyboard?

The good thing about yamaha keyboards is the midi still goes out the midi out while the headphone jack plays their samples soo you can use both at the same time :D.

El Barto said:
So basically, the software I record into would have to have the different instrument sounds for the keyboards? And, chances are, depending on the software, I might actually get a better sound out of it than the actual keyboard?
exactly. But there are definetely a lot more sounds you can download and use through midi. But you CAN use your keyboard sounds. It just wont be midi. just put your audio-out, or if you dont have that then headphone out/ and use 1/4" audio cables to connect to ur audio interface. That way whatever sounds you play out of your Yamaha you can record. And you can use both at the time but i wouldnt recommend it.

These are half-truths.

Yes, recording MIDI cvan be used to trigger soft synths on a DAW. However, you aren't limited to that. You can also trigger the same synth you recorded the MIDI from.

I often record the midi out of my synths, but still playback the sounds from that synth via MIDI.

How it works (read the link above) is that you store the MIDI information (which is essentially instructions as to what note note to play on what patch when, how loud, and for how long) on your DAW. In other words, you grab the performance information rather than the audio itself.

When you play back the MIDI stream, it triggers the sounds on the synth. In fact, anything that understands MIDI can be triggered.

What this buys me is editablility. Once I record audio, I am limited in the editing I do. However, when I record the MIDI information of the performance, I can readily edit the notes, change the patch (sound), synth/module, change keys, whatever. When I'm happy with it, then I freeze the track (record MIDI to the audio).

I don't think it is what you gain that is the biggest factor but what you lose.
You lose all the line noise from keyboard to recording interface.
You gain a lot of useful sounds at a low cost when you use soft synths. I suppose you could get sound modules for just about anything but hardware
solutions cost mucho dollars compared to software.
You gain a lot more manipulation with MIDI, and perhaps an extra headache or two.
Also I find I waste a lot of time experimenting with new sounds and don't seem to get anything accomplished.

Midi

You can loop the midi out of your midi recording device back to your keyboard (but you'll probably need to turn local off so you don't get an echo). What you lose with midi is real life. What you gain is incredible flexibility. It's great for a quick arrangement. You'll still want to add some real life insturments later though.

Back