Is it bad to power my pedals like this?

ad0lescnts

In order to make setup easier on a homemade pedal board,
is it bad to power all of my effects pedals, maybe like 6 to 8 of them (each 200 mA/9V) with ONE 9V...say 2A... wall wart? Or is it bad to have too much current going to a pedal?

thanks,
T

I've got 16 pedals hooked up with the OneSpot adaptor and I haven't had any problems yet. Sometimes the adaptor gets a little warm, but that only happens when I accidentally leave my board on for too long. I used to power my pedals with 2 Voodoo lab Pedal Power bricks, but they just took up too much space. The OneSpot is a nice alternative.

easy!!

ad0lescnts said:
In order to make setup easier on a homemade pedal board,
is it bad to power all of my effects pedals, maybe like 6 to 8 of them (each 200 mA/9V) with ONE 9V...say 2A... wall wart? Or is it bad to have too much current going to a pedal?

thanks,
T

The boss psa 120-T (power adaptor) is rated 200mA itself, and it will power 8 Boss pedals with no problem. My DS-1 manual give a 4 ma current draw....

Just add up the total current draw from your pedals and find something rated at least at that vaule and you will be fine.

You won't need to worry about having TOO MUCH current available - the internal components in the pedals already limit the amount of current that it will draw. It will only draw more current if something has failed inside it, and then it will fry, then all that extra current has a chance of running through you pedal and really cooking it good, but you should really worry more about if your pedals are getting enough current...

Back