Is is good deal? Peavey drums

Nightfire

Aspiring Idiot
Hey guys,
Im a guitar player first and foremoest, then a bass player, then a keyboard player. Now Id like to add Drummer to the end of that list and am looking for a cheap but decent kit.
I came across this deal in my city, do you think its a good deal? Its a Peavey PV 500. The specs are
12" x 10" tom with 12 lugs
13" x 11" tom with 12 lugs
16" x 16" floor tom with 12 lugs
22" x 14" bass drum with 16 lugs
One cymbal stand (double-braced)
One hi-hat stand (double-braced)
One snare stand (double-braced)
One drum throne (single-braced)
One bass drum pedal
One pair of 14" hi-hat cymbals
One 18" crash ride cymbal
One pair of drum sticks
Shell material 9-ply basswood

And hes asking $200. Heres a pic
320c_20.JPG

Thanks,
Mike

i'm torn. $200 is pretty good for a starter kit, but at the same time you could probably get much better sounding drums for $400. of course with the peaveys you also get starter cymbals, which is a nice bonus.

yeah, it's probably a good bet if it fits your needs and budget. don't expect them to sound very good, but once you get good heads on and tune 'em up you should be able to get a usable sound.

good luck!

I just went there and bought them. 12 year old kid got them for Christmas, played them twice and decided drum lessons were too hard:p
So daddy waits a few months, then puts them up for sale. Said the kid is more into "guitar hero" and "rock band" videogames rather than actual instruments.
He bought it new for $450, so I think I got a good deal.

Mike

I just went there and bought them. 12 year old kid got them for Christmas, played them twice and decided drum lessons were too hard:p
So daddy waits a few months, then puts them up for sale. Said the kid is more into "guitar hero" and "rock band" videogames rather than actual instruments.
He bought it new for $450, so I think I got a good deal.

Mike

congrats man! welcome to the dark side. now add this to your favorites:

the exhaustive drum tuning bible

200 bucks? Buy it. Peavey aint great drums, but for 200, you won't get much better.
there were some really nice peavey drums as well. back in the 90's, i was in love with a set like these:
Peavey%20Front.JPG

they had really thin shells with reinforcing hoops, and the lugs went through those. sounded just awesome in the local store's showroom. but they were more than $200 or $450....

I know a guy with some Peavey drums that have those rings that the heads attach to. Total junk. :D

you say so.... :eek:

i thought the thin shells sounded awesome. not especially loud or whatever, like a maple power tom setup, but big low end and nice attack. you arent just afraid of alternative design, are you greg_l? :D

my drums are a lot more traditional as well (circa early 80's pearl and black badge slingerland snare), so i cant say a whole lot.

i thought the thin shells sounded awesome. not especially loud or whatever, like a maple power tom setup, but big low end and nice attack. you arent just afraid of alternative design, are you greg_l? :D

my drums are a lot more traditional as well (circa early 80's pearl and black badge slingerland snare), so i cant say a whole lot.

i tried out a set of those funky peaveys at a showroom once, when they first came out. wasn't very impressed, but the sound to cost ratio was pretty good. :)

Allright, so I lugged them home today and set them up. They need tuning badly. specially the kick drum. The guy assembled them himself and told me he had no idea what he was doing or how to tune them.
It took about 5 minutes of playing before the whole house hated me:o

Thanks for the help guys, now to learn how to mic these suckers.

Mike

I'm not afraid of alternative design.....if it sounds good. The only Peavey drums I'm familiar with have those weird rings and sound like dead ass. The guy has bungee cords stretching across those ring things on his kick because they slip. :confused:

Learning how to groove, tune, having decent cymbals and hardware is half the battle as long as the drums are in round! Just my thoughts.

Back