Is Hip Hop getting BOOOooooteeeish

flossyboy

Peep it

Back in the day, it was all about the artist and how they came across on the mic, how they freaked the words, how they came with that new slang, what they talked about, etc.....

But it seems like now, it's not about the artist about the producer/beat-maker. Now me, I see myself more of a producer than a rapper, but when I do spit I make sure I'm felt....either with some funny sh*t, some clever sh*t, straight pimpin-ish(that's when you handling the brizzies), straight gangsta-ish(when u doing what u gotta do).

Of course the beat has to be tight. I mean why would you flow to a beat you don't feel. But nowadays it seems like a tight song comes on, and the first question is "Who did that beat?"

Just a thought fellas
"Free Space giving for Free Base
That Texas Fella
sugaty@aol.com

I agree that the beat usually becomes more important than the rapper. I myself am not a rapper but I love music. I like the fact that is more about the beat than the actual rapping (to an extent). The beat will make the rapper sound better. It won't guranteed that he will sound good but just better.

In that aspect I like the change in hip hop and rap. But on the aspect of lyrics, I don't like it. I am not a gangsta. So why does a song have to be gangsta style to get some attention. Music now-a-days has no inspiration. Everything is the same old stuff. All you hear is about how to survive in da hood over and over but just in 1000s of different versions. I don't mind hearing it but the creativity of ghetto talking is usually repetetive. Rap music is usually depressive or perverted. Where's the love songs!!!!!

Interesting thread................ People know its a beat aspect. I just read in a magazine not to long ago quoting "its the beat making the hits". As well as the producer behind. I used to write rap a lot. But I have currently backed down to supply our crew's hungry emcees, along with 3 other producers as well, so we can get something going. I took a sacrifice by chosing production over writting, its like I never have time to write now, know what Im sayin, "....gotta get this beat for this dude, gotta get my guy a hit beat...etc". As far as concept, what else is there to write about? Its all be said and done........ To me, its just being who you really are and try to bring something different to the game as far as flow style and approach................my 2 cents for the 04', pM

I feel your attitude about "gangsta sytle" or what not. As times change, I feel like the definition has changed too. My definition of "gangsta" would be grinding and doing what you gotta do to get what you wanna get. I got a partna that's flipping beats with me from Cali, and he always talks about the "gang" affilited ish still going on in Cali. I guess the gang sh*t is still pretty heavy, but i'm starting to see more like "cliques" now. Espcecially in the rap game. But back to hip hop, when you heard Pac or Biggie, or Snoop or Jigga on a song, you was "Damn, Did yall hear that new joint by so and so?"...... but now it's like "Damn did yall hear that song by so and so?.....that "fella's name" Came Down Hard on that Beat." So it's like, the artist get hella lazy cause they are relying on the beats.

Man it's a trip now, but I find myself trying to out do my beats with the lyrics or delivery. It's hella harddddddd.......Because when the beat is sooooo tight, all you wanna do is say some ol' simple azz sh*t.....some ABC/123 lines. So it's like now, i'll make a beat and then i'll take out all the instruments except for the drums.....no bassline, no melody, no strings, no piano, no guitars, just the drums, and i'll write whatever i'm going to write. When it's just the drums, you're not so dependent on that tight azz bassline that's kill'em, or that smooth azz meloday eatin at'em

Like you PM, i've gotten more on the production side, in 4 months me and my partna have built over 400 beats(it's a b*tch though, cause over half of them have not been recorded to the computer yet, they are just sitting in sequences on the mpc.

that's my other 2 cents/ plus PM's 2 cents/ when n*gg*s work together it makes more sense/ get it? cents..!!!!!

"I'm sorryyy.....I'm catching feelins for my Baby's Mama's Mama"
That Texas Fella
sugaty@aol.com
hahahahahahahahaha

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

Thats why Joe Budden didnt blow like he should have his lyrics are thoro but his beats were to original and cats couldnt feel the newness or the nonconformity of the whole cd. he was spitting some real shit

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." Thasa tight quote............

Damn, Im new at this deal, I jus started in July of this year. Ive obviously worked on hiphop, but also some rock and some punk rock. Dont get me wrong, rap is my fav. But these local guys can play some guitars. I record/promote them, they give me some samples. My current beats posted are all synthetic, but Im workin on some real sound. pM

"that's my other 2 cents/ plus PM's 2 cents/ when n*gg*s work together it makes more sense/ get it? cents..!!!!!"

Thats where we run into the downfall, somewhat. The two guys I work with use pc gear, I use hardware. I mean, we get some collabed beats done, but different styles can brew a good homemade beat, or a flop, LOL, but yeah, we try to teach each other our own way of producing. One of my guys does like ten beats a day. Some jus decent, but in a day or two's worth of work he has a few solid beats. Me, I have a few solid beats in a weak or two, but I dont have the quanity..................pM

I think the beats are a big part of hip hop/rap music but without the MCs there would be nothing... Both MCing and Producing take skills to succeed and skills which are very different with success coming in creativity, and simply ear aesthetics.
I have no idea where I'm really going with this but anyway what I think I am trying to say is that the rapper and the producer are interdependent and 1 cannot survive without the other (unless you're dre maybe haha). But I think people should either stick to one or the other because they are such different disciplines in themselves. Personally I don't think I could ever succeed in rapping but I think that my producing skills are forever improving and it's something i take a great interest in.
Ok i hope i made any sense cos i've just gone and confused myself anyway... keep it "gangsta"
happy 2004 btw

Esspro said:
what I think I am trying to say is that the rapper and the producer are interdependent and 1 cannot survive without the other ..........people should either stick to one or the other because they are such different disciplines in themselves.

Music orientated so when hip hop was originated fitted like pieces of a puzzle ..complicated.........
{the R}

thanks 2 u all

Hip hop will have the same elements that good writing has. Wit, humor, aphorisms, originality, and creativity are good attributes to a good movie, play, basically... any expression of art. It's funny to me how people can create divisions of art between Mark Twain, Shakesphere, Poe, Homer, Mos Def, 2pac, Canibus, Big Pun, etc... I think if it were not the case that mainstream rap has a silly image that allot more people would respect the art. There is tons of good artistic hip hop. Good art will stand the challenge of time. e-mail me and I'll send you some names... Formula for MTV/radio hip hop: (Good Hook), beat, artist with charm... Hip hop and rap belong to the lyricist!!! They will get no respect from me! More info... The big white owned record labels are trying to turn rap music into something they can understand so they can control it. Find out how much it costs to get on the radio or promotion. They are destroying the minds of the people and leaving them without a intellectual experience.

You really went there with the crybaby

Joe Buddens album was the first album i ever grew to hate.

I loved it the first time around and then when i realized that i was tricked i immediately felt disgusted listening to it.

A: ITs not that the production is ORIGINAL...its that its not INNOVATIVE...the beats break no new ground beat wise and even though the majority of people listening to rap music have no grasp on its history...ummm Alot of people had beats like what Buddens had on his album...Ok you never heard a hustler track??
Buss my guns? Also the tracks that Blaze did have no place in my heart for longevity...them shits is cotton candy mad of it is in your mouth and its mad sweet but before you know it that shit is just gone like you never had no candy...his beats lack substance big time. His made up beats i mean...even though pump it was a fuckin bite...

B:Continuity....his album is ALL OVER THE PLACE...how can you possibly have a person who is so schizophrenic without a constant direction and expect people to understand them??

Half his album is straight depressing the other half is its polar opposite. Think about that. Yes it shows dimension..but he didnt come out with the depressed Joe Buddens he came out with that Club shit every time he dropped a single.
You had Focus....Pump It Up and then Fire...every single joint was a club song....

I mean i can get personal... my first single IS a club song..but i dont plan to follow it up with a song in the same vein...next up is a love song...then a song that the fellas can jam to..In 3 songs i hit up the major groups of people you have to focus on.

1st release reaches the most mainstream outlets...by being club oriented it means that adults and children will hear it because of the subject matter and FCC approval...seeing as how its the cleanest song. The guys will like it because the girls like it and can wiggle their booty to it :)

2nd release is pretty much about me and my girl..women eat this shit up...where did Buddens go wrong?? Look at 50 In Da club was first then 21 questions if im not mistaken...umm are we seeing a trend?? Yes Buddens has a girl song on the album...but its buried on the album like way deep. If it was a single every body would immediately expect it to be on his album.

3rd release is for all my niggas to get hype to and wild out or smoke to whatever cuz its a blend of different themes but mainly from a man's standpoint.

and basically you follow a consistency with the rest of your singles seein as how you could have more than 3... some people have 7 singles off one album!

But also

each of these singles gets the listener ready for whats to come on my album in each song im showing you elements of what im about...which is crucial so that nobody feels like you out in left field when you do a little something different on your album compared to your singles. Realistically hip hop artists need to get back in touch with the whole concept of music because once these executives try to find something else to make money off of.... our culture will be stagnant, cuz they not about takin things to the next level at all.

When you look at Joe Buddens niggas straight up thought his shit was gonna be a big fuckin party...tell me im lyin.

Thats just my two cents on Joe Buddens though...i think he complains too fuckin much cuz none of this concern he has... now that his shit fell flat - was there when he first dropped. If he's such a hustler then wheres his intellect at? None of that shit ever crossed his mind about whether or not he was shooting himself in the foot going bubblegum every time he dropped a single.

On the hip hop level though ...i really miss the old school shit alot ..it was more fun to listen to and easier to understand...thats also very true of todays music but its simple for all the wrong reasons.

It kind of doesnt make sense how dudes was talkin about the hood in The Message like almost 20 years ago and it was meant 2 educate us about whats goin on...and yet today we still singin the same song and its like nothing changes...thats the furthest thing from the spirit of hip hop. Nawmean?? We gotta go forward...its more shit going on in the world right now than the hood. Educatin people about the hood is redundant cuz we all know about it.

Its not like its niggas walking around like oh its no hood that shit is all made up its a fantasy....come on nigga that aint the truth.
You cant say its for the white community...they know about the hood cuz some of them keep us in that mufucka.
I just think that alot of these so called lyricists cant really be considered as great lyricists becuz they subject matter is so limited and so is the experiences they dwell on.

A great writer either has to possess a great imagination or a great deal of experiences shared or self experienced to convey their ideas and imagery.. However having BOTH of these traits is what makes you stand out among others that try to get the same results without possessing these skills.

If all you ever did was sell drugs and shoot people im a get tired of you unless you grow with time...which will allow me to grow with you...
I cant sit around for 10 years and hear some cat keep spitting the same two bit rhymes about how he still spendin drug money and fuckin models...would you watch a tv show that followed the same routine as most hip hop artists do??

Thats why i like light hearted people in hip hop more than these hard core bullshit artists who try to scare people...a lighthearted nigga always got a place in my heart cuz he can make me laugh when im down and when im depressed my damn self. We need more people in the world to make us laugh at each other and our selves...who need to get more depressed? I mean you would watch a variety show where people made you laugh your ass off and still come away with an understanding of something as well

IE In Living Color...however...i cant watch no show that keeps showing me the same crime scene every day with the same nigga..

The Sopranos for instance is a good show thats based on a negative idea. However because it shows you a WORLD and everybody has their say in shit on the show...we can find characters we like and those we dont like ...however if the sopranos was all tonys monologue and just him in his crib talking about his life...every show?? We start watchin Friends before that shit cuz he just running his mouth about him him him...i want variety outta cat if he gonna take my 10 dollars. Fuck that...i dont understand how changin your clothes got you hyped up dude...how a nigga that aint done shit for hip hop except make money off it is makin Public Service Announcements...
damn i miss Chuck D.

Peace
Illacov

mtolympusrecords.bravehost.com/illumination.html

yo

club music has became really popular for the reason of exposure... The radio is on loc... You gotta have big bucks to afford rotation time... I like nice things and women too... I just don't want to feel like i have been baited by what makes me human. I am not a hater though... I got lil jon cd cuz I think a few of the beats are creative but the lyrics will eat at your progession in life and spirit if you let it. I pity the young and uninformed for the reason of ignorance.

QUOTE:
A great writer either has to possess a great imagination or a great deal of experiences shared or self experienced to convey their ideas and imagery.. However having BOTH of these traits is what makes you stand out among others that try to get the same results without possessing these skills.

This is how I feel, mayne. You always here the work artist this, artist that associated with music. I don't really think of us(rappers, mc, lyricist, etc) as artist. We don't paint sh*t. Now if they said "author" I could more relate. Look at Stephen King......Nooooobody critizes him for writing books about sh*t that's never happened to him. Why?????? Because that's expected out of a book. To see what kind of imagination someone can have and make it seem "REAL"......on the flip side an "author" can write a book about someone. Who can tell me what kind of book is called?????..................BIOGRAPHY. Yeah, a biography....you know....."when you write about someone else's life" An author can write about "someone else's experience" and no one says anything about him not being "real". Then an author can write things/situations/experiences that they have personally lived and went through.

People are taking this "REAL" thing a lil too far these days if you ask me. If i talk about some guns and busting, that's because i'm in the military...something i've lived through.....been on 4 different continents.....so a nigg done seen alot, but that don't mean i wanna talk about "ME" and my experiences all the time....I might wanna right about my partner and his wife, or my brother getting arrested, or some chick in brazil pimping other broads.

It's like even these club songs that are being released as singles to "jump the album off" aren't even that tight. The reason i say that is because the beat is hot, but the sh*t said in the song don't even make me think or laugh like my man said above. I'm a comical kinda person i guess. I like some sh*t to be funny, or twisted and flipped....not the same ol "Hoe touch ya elbow, you can't ride on lo-pros" knowing damn well these niggas paying for puddy like us average niggs pay for puddy.

If you buy a condom, you paying for puddy. If you gotta buy gas to drive to a brizzies crib, you payin for puddy. If you actually get the get in the draws you payin for puddy.......TIME

AND TIME IS MONEY
Where is HIP HOP REALLY GOING??
That Texas Fella
sugaty@aol.com

yo

Rap is surely art! No matter if it's fictional or non fiction, creative or uncreative. "Keepin it real means keepin it authentic" If you let people control your expression then they have controlled you. Show me someone talking about keepin it real and I will point to a victom of ghetto ignorance! Have you ever read the epic works of Homer?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA

if rap is art, it sho is some ugly azz paintings on them music store shelves......hahahahahahahahahhahahaa

Naw, rap is artistic, but you can relate rapping towards an author of literature than "art", but none the less it is art because it's the use of skill acquired by experience, study or observation; the conscious use of skill and creative imagination

but come on now........how many love songs/situations can an R&B singer sing and get away with......

No one ever talks about the content of R&B singers, and if you really think about it, 90% has something to do with love. 70% of the world aint in Love, or we wouldn't have Jerry Springer shows and sh*t..........cheating........is more like it which involves the deterioation of love.........

how many niggas is really in love? which means you'll do anything and everything, and not backstab that commitment........for the wise guys, this doesn't mean just a love for a chick....this could be a Love for anything

Just a thought
That Texas Fella
sugaty@aol.com

hey

Love is God
Love is Universal
Love will be around forever

Rap and writing are too similar! The great thing about spoken word is that it includes the elements of vernacular, passion, dialect, and spirit. It takes development to be a good writer. I will have to assume that you are listening to some wak rap music?

Whats being missed here is this

Club songs never had content to them..if a song gets played in the club doesnt mean it was intended for the club its up to the dj...but if you made a song strictly for party purposes then whats so bad with Sugar Hill Gang...make some entertaining diddy bopp music so that people got somethin thats light hearted thats my point.

But imagination isnt just about fictionalized accounts of shit...im saying that your imagination should allow you to visualize or aurally visualize your music so that you come up with something that is truly of yourself. (You think Quincy Jones didnt use his imagination when he produced Michael Jackson??? That Dre or Em didnt use their imagination when they produced 50???) If im writing about myself doesnt mean i follow the same format that other cats follow or that i need the same perspective as they do cuz what is perspective?? Its personal ..so why am i gonna write a song from 50s personal perspective im not 50 cent. Any more than he is me...I dare 50 to successfully impersonate my flow and convince somebody that he ghostwrote my life.

I find it hard to imagine that he could pull that off....

thats the other point right there too..the reason we get so tired of these so called artists is because they all do the same shit nowadays...so how many homeboys could you chill with if they all kept bitchin about the same shit??

Come on yo you know you need one positive nigga around you at least so that you aint depressed by the rest of your bitchin homies.

But im eatin so
Peace
Illacov

check

I cannot see myself making music or writing something so it favors the interest of some lame cats that run a rap label and want to keep people sedated while profiting. Rap music would have massively evolved if the powerful record labels would help free American culture. They have helped to reduce the attention span of the listener and nurture the absolute bafoonery in humans. It has made a few people rich and the millions of us have suffered in the plume without knowing!

Back