Is Garageband an Acceptable Recording Tool?

Schloo

Does anyone know if it has been used in a pro studio scenario?
Are there downfalls? Right now it is the easiest solution for me, so I am weighing the pros and cons. I am recording into my mac via a Alesis USB mixer. Thanks! Bye!

Schloo said:
Does anyone know if it has been used in a pro studio scenario?
Are there downfalls? Right now it is the easiest solution for me, so I am weighing the pros and cons. I am recording into my mac via a Alesis USB mixer. Thanks! Bye!

The software is rarely the limiting factor in a home studio. The main differences will be the processing power (number of tracks, effects, etc.) and the interface (mixer views, menus, etc.). Some software is more intuitive for some users than others.

I don't personally know of any "professional" studios using GB (most top studios use ProTools, Nuendo, Cubase SX, etc. for computer recording), but don't let that discourage you. Just about any of the entry level software will most likely do what you need.

Schloo, I'm uncertain if GarageBand is considered a 'pro' application, but if you can use it to make music then go forth and do so! :D
I believe that you can record live (ie - guitar, vocals, didgeridoo) tracks into GB, so if you can live with the loops they provide as a bed for your song, there shouldn't be too many obstacles to the creative process.
.....apart from the number of tracks, effects, etc as scrubs mentioned.

Dags

i have not heard of a professional band using garageband, however, head (departed guitarist from korn) used garageband on his "head2christ" records, and they sounded professional if not the uber quality you would expect from more pricey recorders, mixers, and the like. A lot of the quality you hear from professional recordings are due to good microphone preamps, EQing, mixing, and mastering. Proper compression, reverb, etc. will make tracks recorded on even cakewalk through your soundcard's input will sound markedly better if you use good equipment going into the computer and how you play with the tracks afterward. good luck in your endeavors.

Garageband Newbie

Ok kids......

I've been giving GB a shot all weekend and have had some fun and interesting results. First of all, let me tell you how I got to GB. A couple of months back I bought an MBOX 2 with ProTools LE. I was using my Gateway Multimedia laptop as my audio computer, and soon ran into the myriad of issues getting PT to work in the "perfect environment". I upgraded my ram to 1 GB, bought a separate (and approved by Digidesign) external Firewire Audio Hardrive, upgraded to PT 7.0 etc. Still shakey. Had a myriad of issues getting PT to work on my chipset.

Now please bear in mind that all I want to do is have fun recording my talent-less ass.

After much study (considered buying a Digidesign "Approved" PC, etc.,) I went the simplest route and bought a new iMac G5 2.1 20" with 1.5 Gigs of ram. (BTW, my first PC was a Mac 512k in 1984 and I've been "macless" since 1996).

30 minutes after opening the iMac's box, I easily got it to recognize my Mbox2. I now use my Mbox as my main audio card. Garageband is a hoot! It's easy, fast, intutitive, and most of all--fun. I now get my tracks laid down without consulting my "Rocket Science for Dummies and ProTool insider" manual. Yesterday I kicked out an original Jazz number and a cover of Stings "Fragile". My friends and family are amazed. Paula Abdul now wants to have sex with me. (Unfortunately, I'm not attracted to her.)

I totally understand that GB has major limitations and is not intended for "Professional" use. However, I do have a day job, and simply couldn't continue to jump through all the hoops that Digidesign and Protools loves to put you through. If I was considering a career as a studio engineer--no doubt I'd be ramping up on PT's. But to have fun in my home office/studio, playing my Martin acoustic and recording my well-seasoned voice, GB is fine for now. And in the event I want more....I can always load PT's on my new Mac, which I've found runs perfectally when compaired to my old PC.

Just one man's opinion after one long weekend.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Equiptment list:

iMac G5 20". 2.1 ghz, 1.5 G of ram
180 GB External Firewire Harddrive (7200 rpm)
Yamaha Studio monitors
Rode N 1 Condenser Mic
Seinhauser Headphones
MBox2
M-Audio Oxygen 8 Midi Controller

" Paula Abdul now wants to have sex with me. (Unfortunately, I'm not attracted to her.)"

LMAO...Awesome.

A very good review...makes me want to know how Paula Abdul heard your songs...do you think she'd listen to mine? (I'm not attracted to her either...)

Jacob

We recorded over the weekend and it was a LOT of fun.
I have a USB mixer and only a 733Mhz Powermac, so
I was worried a first, but it held up fine. Can't wait to
get some good mics!

Back