Is color bad on vocals?

adds a different "sonic character" if you will ...

It's all personal preference rather than bad or good. Color can be acheived using a mic preamp, compressor, etc as well.

^cool! i just ordered one of them..kinda ironic..I know it colors vocals.. bit late to be asking after i ordered it i guess. How does yours work for you?

ads a different "sonic character" if you will ...

thanks mate. I guess i realised i didnt know if color was good or bad. i always thought it meant if a mic was warm or not but upon thinking about it i had my doubts.. thought id better ask.

OF course its not bad, depending. Why do you think eveyrone wants those old Neves and Neve clones for vocals? They are some of the dirtiest preamps around and people pay BIG money for it. They arent a "clean" preamp.

tubedude said:
OF course its not bad, depending. Why do you think eveyrone wants those old Neves and Neve clones for vocals? They are some of the dirtiest preamps around and people pay BIG money for it. They arent a "clean" preamp.

thanks man. I guess i'll just see when my mic arives. i feel so lost at the moment...

docmattic said:
thanks man. I guess i'll just see when my mic arives. i feel so lost at the moment...

what are you comparing it to? do you have a mic now which you feel is "transparent" that you want to compliment?

To get an almost-totally uncolored sound, you would use a reference mic and record in an anechoic chamber or outside, way out in the country where there are no noises. Does anyone do that?

zorf said:
the current term is: "mic of color"
The politically correct term is "economically challenged mic requiring affirmitive action to address past discrimination".

My SM7B is burnt orange with just a hint of green and purple streaking.

Pretty much any mic is going to add colour to the source. It really just depends on the mic and the source, you need to get a mic that works well with your voice. For example, an MXL 990 is rather bright, which doesn't do well on my vocals, but it works great on my girlfriend's. An SM58 is a little muddy, but that works for me; for my girlfriend, it just sounds muddy.

zorf said:
the current term is: "mic of color"
wheelema said:
The politically correct term is "economically challenged mic requiring affirmitive action to address past discrimination".

My SM7B is burnt orange with just a hint of green and purple streaking.

and it makes your vocals

sound ebonic

not a bad thing

if that's what you're after

How the hell am I supposed to get any kind of idea as to what mic might fit my voice then?

I seem to wanna eq my voice brighter when I record but I don't have a dark voice at all. It's actually pretty weak...

Can't go out and just buy mic's on chance. And I don't know of a place to rent here...

Is there any way to generalize what might work for certain kinds of voices?

In reference to the original question, color simply means that the mic does not perfectly capture the sound as it is created, but subtle, or not so subtle changes in the sound are reflected in the output. A perfect mic, in theory would produce an exact replica of the sound entering it. This is ideal for recording musical instruments, orchestras, etc. Vocalist look for microphones that, through their "color" change the signal in a way that makes their voice sound better. Finding the mic that works best for you could get rather expensive if you keep buying till you find the best one...unless luck of the draw is in your favor. This is why major studios have a rather large mic locker, to have a variety to match up with the person, or instrument, and the sound that is desired at the time. If you can't try some mics out at your local store, perhaps you could find a studio and pay a fee to try various mics and preamp combinations to find your "best fit". An experienced engineer would probably get you matched up pretty quickly and it may be the best $50-$100 you ever spent.

That sounds like a good idea, but my problem is I wouldn't really know what's best for my voice even when I hear it :)
I mean, unless I have a song to sing to. Then I guess I could make some sense out of it.

It seems kind of intimidating to go into a studio trying microphones when my knowledge is so limited.

For now I'll just make the best of what I have. At least I know if I hate it or not when I hear it. I just can't judge what would make it even better.

Lomas said:
How the hell am I supposed to get any kind of idea as to what mic might fit my voice then?

I seem to wanna eq my voice brighter when I record but I don't have a dark voice at all. It's actually pretty weak...

Can't go out and just buy mic's on chance. And I don't know of a place to rent here...

Is there any way to generalize what might work for certain kinds of voices?

Welcome to the world. Experience matters!

Back