Is CEP is a sequencer?

Forte

Well... is it? Can it be considered one? I mean, I've seen nTrack be referred to as a sequencer - and surely CEP can do everything nTrack can do... and more.
Usually though, Cool Edit is referred to as a wave editor - but it seems to have moved beyond that. I mean, can't even be used as a sampler?

I think they key would be it's MIDI capability - which it seems to lack....
I don't know though - I could be wrong.

CEP and Midi?? will it work?

Ahh young grass hopper !

Well what i have found out is CEP WILL NOT record midi information !!Which to me was a pisser. It can play it back though . You can load midi files into it and have it play back sequences and then record the audio of your drum machine/keyboard and keep evething in time that way. It's not the best arranger if you need something like that get cakewalk . You can do all your midi arrangeing into cake walk save the file then have CEP import it and have it play it back
But what CEP is great and i love it for this is mastering and mixing it up and it sure can do it well with out the 450.00 to 750.00 price tag and no latencey. Zad

Hey thanks! :D

Yuh, I was desperately looking for some way to record MIDI info with Cool Edit, but to no avail. I was afraid I just couldn't find it; glad to know it's not me. :p

Anyway, actually, I'm looking at Cubase, not Cakewalk. Thanks though. :D

I've heard great things about Sonar by cakewalk and Nuendo by cubase. I know they're a bit more expensive but you may get alot more from them.

I've never used either. For a pro platform Logic is good but complicated to use.

Really? I heard Logic is the easiest (from a MIDI stand point). I believe Nuendo is the same as Cool Edit though: no MIDI capabilities.
I'm actuall trying out Cubase VST - it's a pain to learn, but I'm getting used to it.

Are you suggesting nTrack? That was my first piece of software. It's a very good low end digital multi-track recorder with a pretty good paino roll and VSTi support, but it's just that: low end. I'm moving on to bigger and better things. For one thing, it has next to no .wav editting capabilities - it also has next to no MIDI capabilities. Further more, nTrack 3.1 doesn't support some of the newer VSTi - specifically: samplers.

I think that you're assuming that all all keyboards come with a built in sequencer... well they don't. It's also a lot easier to work on nice 17" moniter than it is a tiny LCD screen. Then again, I'm assuming that hardware sequencers can't be projected onto a screen, but in anycase, it would probably cheaper and more convinient to go soft.

let me ask you this. im going to buy my first software pretty soon. if i had an mpc and a triton and did all my sequencing with the mpc would cep be a good program for me? all i would need is to record/mix and burn a cd. thanxxxalso, i live in sfla, in pembroke pines, where are you from? thanxxxx

CEP doesn't record MIDI date (i.e: note on, note off, velocity, etc.). So then, if you want to record MIDI data with your Triton, then no. However, if you're just going to record the audio straight from the keyboard, then CEP would work.
Depending on what you want to do, you may not need MIDI though. Personally, I don't think I could obtain the things I want with out MIDI.

If you need MIDI, the top three soft sequencers out there right now are:
  • Steingberg's Cubase SX
  • Cakewalk's Sonar
  • eMagix Logic

I also think Fruity Loops and Reason are worth checking out, but they don't have audio capabilities, so it depends on what type of music you want to do.
What other software have you looked into?

Yeah, I live down on Pines Blvd. and 76 Ave. near BCC. :)
John...?

Back