Is Cakewalk a Resource Hog?

kennedy connor

Recently I've gotten in to software synths and am having real problems with crackling and latency. I am running a PIII 750,256,7200 EIDE (C:programs D: audio). The reason I brought this up in this forum is that the crackling and latency are not a problem when I use Sound Forge Acid Pro for recording. Some minor tweaking yes, but Cakewalk won't even play 1 audio track while tracking native's B-4.

I've tried tweaking buffers in all apps but still cake won't go. I assume that Acid uses the C: to record...does this have anything to do with it? My Cake wav file is on D:
thanks for any ideas.

hey kennedy,

are that two separate HDD's in your setup or did you partition one large disk into two? If your Wavedata folder is on D: you should try installing Cake on D: too. Your setup should definitely be handling that combination (cakewalk + B4).

sincerely,

thanks for your reply. The general consenus is two drives one for audio and one for programs......before i reinstall cakewalk I might go with cubase....Finally got things working better but I have had a continual deterioration in track play back for sometime now. At one point the cakewalk resource window was showing 25 to 75% spikes in the drive area. This was on 4 tracks of audio. AT one point in the begining I had 22+ tracks with plugins galore.....I'm still baffled...last nite it froze up while trying to play/record 3 tracks. Shut down cake and seemed to work fine after that. Again thanks

Back