is anyone patient enough to help a totall IDIOT figure out how to work cubebase 5le?

AL P

aparently, i`m too swtupid to even understand the instructions..ARG!!..I`ve been recording with my tuscam us-800 using audacity, well tonight i finally got around to installing the cubebase, and it`s a train wreck..LOL..it`s a bit late now or I`d continue, plus I`m curious if anyone has enough patience to work with an aparent idiot..LOL

I'm in the exact same boat as you man, US-800 and using Cubase 5 LE. For what it's worth, we might be able to figure out a couple of things together.

I'm curious about what are "Sends" and what they're used for, a better explanation on how to use the built in "VSTDynamics" insert for compression, off the top of my head. I'm just starting to get a project started, recorded an acoustic track using mixing tips I picked up here. So far its gone okay.

So are you having trouble actually installing the program on your computer, or is it setting up the program once it's on your computer that you're struggling with?

well, i got it installed...but even that almost turned into a feasco..i clicked the register now option, but could`nt figure out what the hell i was doing, anyway, i downloaded the key thing, but could`nt figure out where the license numbers/letters were? so i abandoned that, and just installed the program with the option of using it 3000 times before it expired..LOL..
anyway, I got cubebase to be friends with my tuscam us-800, but that`s about it..
I tried following the instructions, but am getting no where...
I swear, this is ocket sceince to me..
I can go knee deep into the bios on a computor, reformatt it from the ground up etc, so i`m not comepletly computor illiterate by no means.., but cubebase illiterate?..yes, absolutly..
if need be, I can take "snap shots" of where I`m stuck and post pics etc..but I must tell ya, this may get frustrating for anyone helping me, as I`m honestly dumber then a box f rocks when it comes to cubebase aparently..

i know there`s going to be a somewhat step learning curve here, but right now, i`d just like to be able to atleast record one source, and prefferably have the damn sound come out both speakers..LOL (the source right now, is a guitar speaker mic`ed with a GLS es57)..I`ve seen evidence that cubebase is hearing my guitar, but that`s about it..tell`in ya...I`m a idiot over here..

I can get you going, step by step, but not til later tonight or tomorrow morning. Like 5 tonight or 5AM tomorrow.

Skype may make it easier too, if you have that going.

The second sticky in the Cubase forum is pretty close to accurate for what you need to do to get going. It just looks a bit different. Try that. I will be back around later to see if you still need some help. :)

okay, thanks for the reply`s everyone!!...i have to take off here in a minute and will be gone for a few, but I`ll check out that sticky, and see if i can get anything figured out...

thanks again..

Here I go.....

Open Cubase LE5. When Open Document Option screen comes up, select 'New Project>Empty'.

Set Project folder. Select location you want to save to (use the default for now, unless you have an external or secondary drive for audio). Create new folder for your project.

Setup driver for your interface: 'Devices>Device Setup...>VST Audio System'. Select US800 from ASIO dropdown menu. While there, check the 'Release Driver' box. It will allow you to go back and forth between Cubase and things like Media Player when either is open in background.

Set your connections from your interface to Cubase: 'Devices>VST Connections' (F4 gets you there quicker). Output default will be out 1&2. This is where your monitors should be hooked up to your interface.
---Click on 'Inputs' tab. Select 'Add Bus'>dropdown menu to 'Mono'>Ok. You can name your input bus here. Select the input channel you want to use on the US800 here, by left clicking on the yellow 'Device Port' section, that is to the right of the Input Bus you just created (Mic In 1 should be the default).

Create a track to record to: From main Project window, 'Project>Add Track>Audio>Mono>OK'.
--Now you have a mono track created to record to.

Many new to Cubase get lost here. The first section (window) on left side of screen, is called 'Inspector' window. Here you can control the Inputs, Outputs, record enable, monitor, Inserts, Sends, Fader, Pan, pre fader gain, and track delay, of each individual track.

Most important in this window, is the Input/Output for the new track (and every subsequent track). The symbols look kinda like >] 'Input', and [> 'Output. This is where you route you buses created in VST Connections, to the track you want to record to. As well as where the 'Output' is directed. For now , Output should be to Stereo Out. By default, a mono track created, will use 'Mono In', after a mono bus has been created (as you already have).

Another note: If you happen to click on one of the tabs in the 'Inspector' window (Inserts, Sends, or Channel), you just click on the track name at the top of Inspector, to get back to the main Inspector window, to show Inputs/Outputs again.

Record to your track: Plug in your mic to input 1 of your interface (enable phantom power on back of unit if using a condenser mic). Enable record (target lookin thing in Inspector) AND click on the 'Monitor' button (icon that looks like a speaker).
--This allows you to hear what is coming into the Cubase track from your interface. After recording, click the 'Monitor' button off, to hear playback.

***Also, you can drag the edge of the window next to the Inspector window to the right, to display the most used Inspector functions.

***There are also changes you can make in 'File>Preferences' to make monitoring occur automatically (Tape Machine Style) when you hit record. Good for punching in. I can help further with stuff like that later.

Hope this helps man. :)

Last edited:
Jimmy is the man on this. He really helped me out when I wasnt able to hear what I recorded on cubase with my tascam us144.

Thanks jimmy!! sorry for the delayed follow up, I have`nt been feeling very well the last couple days, i have an abscessed toth tat has been KILLING me...had an apointment with my dentist the other day, but he called in sick...damn the bad luck..LOL

anyway, I`m getting ready to run to the store right now, but as soon as i get back, and if my face does`nt feel like it`s going to explode, I`m going to give it a whirl and see what happens..thanks again!

AL

ARG...things are getting worse as i go...
what`s the problem here..this was`nt showing up before..what did i screw up now? here`s a snap shot...this shows up before cubebase even loads..
cube123.jpg

No biggie dood. You just haven't setup your soundcard yet. That is in regards to your built in one. Continue with the steps. :)

somethings whacked...last night it listed my tuscam, tonight it is not..here`s what I`m seeing..
if I click on "outputs" it`s listing my realtek..??..anyway, last night it was listing multiple channels from my tuscasm, today, it`s just showing ! & 2..i know i was a bit tired when i messed with it, but it was defiantly different..
cube1321.jpg

That is not the US800 driver. Select it from Device Setup. If not listed, then you need to power up the 800 after Windows loads, and before Cubase starts. I can't help anymore til tomorrow cuz I'm out with the wife, and she is giving me dirty looks. :)

Last edited:
AHH HAA!!...we have action over here....perhaps I should`nt have tried messing with it, shortly after taking a few "pain pills" my dentist called me in yesturday..LOL
anyway, I`m getting places now..she`s recording, sound is hearable upon play back etc..so atleast Im getting somewhere..thanks jimmy..I have a long ways to go here, but you definintly get me on the right track now..pun intended..LOL

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jimmys69 again.

Have you mapped your VST connections so you get discreet tracks? eg Channel one to track one, channel two > track two, etc. Is Tuscam some kind of Tascam knockoff :confused:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jimmys69 again.

Have you mapped your VST connections so you get discreet tracks? eg Channel one to track one, channel two > track two, etc. Is Tuscam some kind of Tascam knockoff :confused:

LOL..no that`d be a typo..(okay fine then, it was a flat out miss spelling..LOL)
that said, I`m glad you brung this question up, because this was my next question...lets suppose I`m recording live..and lets say, I`m recording 3 or 4 different sources, say a singer, guitar and a bass or whatever, how do I set it up to where they are all bieng recorded on a different track?

thanks..

Follow the same steps for each input. Create a bus for each input channel, and select the appropriate bus in the Inspector of each track. :D

Back