Is an iMac/Mac Mini the least expensive way to get a quiet computer?

sync

Pending
I wouldn't normally call a Mac inexpensive. But are there any PCs that are as quiet as a Mac for a comparable cost? My Dell seemed pretty quiet when I first bought it but it is pretty noise now.

I have two macs (Emac and G4 tower) and wouldnt necessarily say they are quieter either. Never did an A/B test on them though.

The G4 tower is known for being quite noisy for a Mac.

The Mac Mini and iMac are supposed to be very quiet. Tom Hardware tested the Mac Mini and found "During testing, our Mac mini was able to shine in this respect, drawing a mere 20 watts of power; during DVD playback, this rose to only 28 W. In contrast, the power requirements of current Intel-based PC systems is anything but reasonable - under comparable conditions, these power-hungry machines draw up to 160 W". That means much less heat to dissipate. The power supply is external which also cuts down on heat in the box.

Nows a good time to be into iMacs since they now rock the mighty core 2 duo and come in sizes up to 24 in :eek:

SOS gave the previous one (Core duo based one) nothing but praise

plus i'm happy to see apple as competitive as they are today, you can get the 17" one for a G and the humongo one for 2 G's

Back