Is a Tascam 2488 really useful with a Computer DAW?

foxwaves

Hey Folks,

Several years ago, I bought a 2488...and it's still in the box! Now, I'm finally setting up a little studio and planning on buying a new computer dedicated to recording with reaper as my DAW. Now I wonder if I even need to ever unpack the 2488...what use or advantages (if any) would there be in having the 2488 in conjunction with Reaper? Maybe I should just sell it...what do you think? I'd appreciate your advice and insight. Thanks!

Being saomeone who still has his 2488 and now records with REAPER, my 2488 is packed up and not being used. As much as I loved it when I used it, there;s really no use for it if you're recording into your PC.

Sell it on and spend the cash on a preamp or mic or something else for your studio. Plugin or something. You'll not need the Tascam at all.

Being saomeone who still has his 2488 and now records with REAPER, my 2488 is packed up and not being used. As much as I loved it when I used it, there;s really no use for it if you're recording into your PC.

That's what I suspected, RAMI. I think I was hoping for an excuse to unpack the 2488 and gaze at all the sliders, haha. Plus, I bought the thing and never even got to plug it in...:(
Thanks for your advice, RAMI!

Sell it on and spend the cash on a preamp or mic or something else for your studio. Plugin or something. You'll not need the Tascam at all.

Thanks, Mr. Clean. I do need a lot of things more than a portastudio, to be sure. I think I have about $800 in it and it's still in the box. I wonder what I should ask for it and where would be the best place to find a buyer? I hope I don't have to take a big hit on it...

These units are great and much more fun to mix on than computers and why would you ever want to sell it wow im offended :spank::cursing: Oops, I mean Home Recording site under Tascam products....The Tascam company are inovaters not imitaters !!!

Last edited:
The quality of the recording is more brilliant than using an interphase...We still have two of these we use in our backwoods studio in Hudson Bend.
The problem with the machine is learning to use it...
if you know how to operate it you can make great stuff with it.
My partner Rob still has thousands of hours on Roland data discs and now he can finally convert them using Reaper?(I think that's what he said)
He is accustomed to the machines and he still uses them for their full analog sound, as comparing them to a recording done on digital interphase recording directly to computer hard drive

BULLSHIT, you shouldn't even be on this Tascam site if you talk like that :cursing::eek: Oops I was replying to MR CLEAN here ....

Last edited:
The quality of the recording is more brilliant than using an interphase...We still have two of these we use in our backwoods studio in Hudson Bend.
The problem with the machine is learning to use it...
if you know how to operate it you can make great stuff with it.
My partner Rob still has thousands of hours on Roland data discs and now he can finally convert them using Reaper?(I think that's what he said)
He is accustomed to the machines and he still uses them for their full analog sound, as comparing them to a recording done on digital interphase recording directly to computer hard drive

Were you replying to me here?

Back