Is a snake what I need?

tylerxxx

I just bought a new house with some friends, and here's the situation:

I got the master bedroom. I don't have exact dimensions, but it's fairly big. the wall that i plan on putting my computer on is say... the west side of the bedroom. On the east side, there's the bathroom. You walk through the bathroom, then there's the closet, which is fairly big. I want to build a booth (I'll most likely ask about that later, this situation comes first since I'm on a budget) in it. I mainly record guitar tracks to post online, etc. But now I'm in a band, so i might eventually record drums/vox in there too. ANYWAY, to my question. How would i run cables all the way from my computer to the tracking room? Stage snake? And also, is there a snake that would have 1/4" cables? I like having my guitar head right next to my desk, so I can just play and listen through the monitors... what would be the best way to set THAT up?

Thanks in advance guys, I don't know when I'll be checking back. I'm moving all week!

It would work for you. Many have a few 1/4'' connections, im not sure if running such a high power signal from a head will disturb the mic lines but it may.

-jeffrey

Yes a snake is what you need. Just research them, there are all kinds of flavors. I have a short 50 'snake with (8) xlr's & (4) 1/4" inputs that I use for recording and a 100' for live work.

This is what direct boxes are for, from your 1/4" output on your guitar head stick a DI box in there, then ouput from that to your xlr snake input back to the board.

I'm a little confused. How are you recording now? Are you miking your guitar through your playback moniitors?

This is what I have
Gobos (away from the board) with a snake planted in the middle
I mic my guitar cab in there, the result goes to the snake on the floor then back to the board -->computer. My guitar preamp is in the gobo, my noisy outboard guitar amp is in with the rack by the studio gear.

Same deal with vocals, bass, etc.

i have my cab in my closet in my current bedroom, which is way smaller than my new house. i have a mic in the closet, and the cable easily reaches my computer.

If you're a hot chick, then yes a snake is what you need and I'm available :D (sorry, couldn't resist :) )

Back