Is a snake my best solution?

cincy_kid

First off, sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum heading, but I figured since it had to do with my studio configuration, this may be the best place :)

So, my desk where I will mix is now like 30 foot from the closet that i will be actually recording in. So instead of stretching the mic cords from the closet to mix area / preamp, I figured I would buy a snake that could act as an extension cord and plug into my preamp or board or wherever (depending on my chain setup) and then run the snake into the recording room and plug the mic(s) into it there. Also, there's the headphones. The snake I was looking at has a 1/4" slot for the headphones so I can do the same thing basically (plug the snake's 1/4" into the board and then plug the headphones into the snake in the closet).

Here are the questions:

1) Will the snake idea work and is it the best/easiest way to achieve the stretch for my situation?

2) What if I want to have more than 1 headphones? For example, lets say I have someone in the closet recording with headphones on and I am at the mix desk and I want to have headphones on too, or even 2 people in the closet with each a pair of headphones on. The snake only has 1 of the 1/4" things so is there something else I need to buy like a headphone amp or is there an easier solution?

keep in mind, this will mostly be for myself but once in a while I may have a buddy over to mess around with some tunes, so 2 headphone possibilities would be nice to have.

Thanks in advance ~

How many mics do you need to have in the closet?
I have seen 6 channel snakes with 2 TRS 1/4 returns. That will handle 6 mics and 2 headphones. If you only need one mic and one pair of phones in the closet then it would be cheaper to just get a 30-50' mic cable and a long headphone extension.
I have been thinking about this for tracking drums in my kitchen.
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--HOSSH62

well I will only be using 1 mic at a time (maybe 2 if I decide to do acoustic and vocals at the same time, but very doubtful) - and 1 or 2 headphones.

I tought the one I was looking at only had 1 TRS but it does indeed have 2. Here is the one I am thinking of getting:

http://cgi.ebay.com/OSP-6-x-2-30-AU...26810888QQihZ022QQcategoryZ3278QQcmdZViewItem

I was hoping I wouldn't have to keep changing mic cords on the mics and thats why I was going to use a snake instead of just getting a longer mic cable. i dont know, what do you think?

Looks like roughly the same thing I linked you to but yours has a better price.:D
For that price you can't go wrong.

cool ty ~

since it was called a "AUDIO SUB SNAKE PA DJ MIXER PRO" I didn't know if it was slightly different than a regular snake, but it looks like it should be fine.

Thanks again

A snake is a pretty handy thing to have around. You might decide you want to record in a different room (say to add drums) and pulling a snake is a lot easier than stringing a bunch of cables or moving your desk. A headphone amp is the prefered way to go if you think you need more than one set of phones, however if you record at fairly low volume levels, a simple headphone splitter may work and save you a few bucks (only about $4 at Radio Skack.) Even with a headphone amp, a splitter or two can come in handy once in a while.

I totally need a snake and a headphone amp. I would like to have a snake for drums and just get 4 or 5 10' mic cables. The cables for the over heads would need to be a little longer depending on where I spot the snake box.
It would also be nice for doing live recordings. I recorded my band live once and had to run cables to the drum mics and the overheads as well as guitars and bass. It was a bit of a bite in the ass. Yes I think that is where I will spend my next $.

Back